Fan Not Working

beta boy

i was out on my bike on sunday and the fan did not even cut in i thought it was strange but i thought because it was cold it might no be hot enough t cut in when i got home i connected both the wires on the thermostat and started my bike did not even flicker tried tapping it still no movement

eney tips

also i have a trial this sunday would it damage my bike t ride it without the fan :D

Try taking your fan off and checking it over.

It could be dirty ,clean it up and spray with WD40 or similar and spin the blades around a bit,so that the WD40 gets around the bearings.

Dont know what bike you have,but I would not advise you to ride to long without a fan .

My fan doesnt kick in automatically on my Techno,so from cold,I give it a couple of minutes then give it a flick ,which gets it going.I do this every time I start it after that.

In your case it could be something simple electrically ,or you may need a new fan if the cleaning and spraying doesnt work

you`ll just have to check all the connections

regards

N

i have all ready cleaned the motor with proper motor cleaner and oiled the bearings but i have traced the problem it is the ac/dc/converter it is fried

i did not have eney trouble with the bike on sunday with the fan not running does the fan really make that much differance , my bike is a 95 techno

You can replace the Ac/DC converter and capacitor with uprated parts from Radio Shack or some other electronics supplier (I replaced the converter which was rated at 2 amps with one that was rated at 8 amps and a higher voltage capacitor as well). I will try and find the part numbers which I used on my Techno, but its been a few years and I'll have to have a look on my home Pc tonight.

When I had the same problem on my old '94 Techno I found that the soldering was crap on the converter, which combined with some water caused a short and killed it. So I found a plug that would plug directly onto the new higher spec AC/DC converter and just soldered the wires to pins on the plug. The idea was that if it ever crapped out again I could just unplug the old converter/capacitor and plug in a new one. The problem of course never happened again as the higher amperage converter never crapped out, and the soldering was much better..... :D

thanks guys for the tips

this hoplfully wil be the last time i have t fix this peice of s**t any body know how much my bike is rufly worth it had a clutch reuild no just plates the basket every thing both the wheels rebuilt new chianset and tires also all brakes re bled new handlebars new rear plastic and a new subframe cost me alot of money dont no why i really did it i just love the feel of this bike and didnt realy want t get rid of it but it is just pi$$ing me off and it has to go

I would still get a higher amperage converter and a higher voltage capacitor if I were you - the part number is basically the same for the converter, but where it says 2 then use 6 or 8 (this is the maximum amount of current that it can handle before it blows up).

Then have a look around for a connector that will slip onto the new converter - the one I had was basically a rectangular block and the sockets were spaced perfectly for the converter. Then if you solder the old wiring directly onto each connector socket in the same order then you shouldn't need the wiring diagram. Then you just need to solder the capacitor across the pins on the converter - be careful of the polarity of the capacitor as they only go one way. :D

I did have a spare one which unfortuneatly I gave away when I sold the bike, and I can't find the part numbers as I've lost the document for some reason.

Good Luck