Sherco 290 Starting Problems

gasgasssser

I`VE JUST BOUGHT AN `04 290,AND HAVING PROBLEMS STARTING ;) (HOT AND COLD)I TOOK AIR FILTER OUT-LOOKS LIKE NEW,TOOK CARB OFF-LOVELY AND CLEAN,ONLY TING I COULD SEE WRONG IS THE BRASS FITTING IN THE CENTER OF THE CARB(WHERE THE NEEDLE GOES IN)hAS HAD THE FRONT MACHINED AWAY,SO INSTEAD OF BEING ROUND(LOOKING DOWN THROUGH THE SLIDER BORE)THERE IS ONLY HALF OF IT THERE.iS THIS NORMAL??iF NOT,WHATS GOIN ON?? :(

ANY HELP ON GETTING IT TO START BETTER WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED :closedeyes:

Yes a vx is good, not a jot of difference with starting but seems to run cleaner everywhere else. Works on my Gas Gas too.

Don't think this is a sherco problem but a maintainence issue.

Strip thr carb put a new plug in make sure the air filter is new/very clean, take the mag cover off and the flywheel dry and clean all back to gether and off you go. If the problem still persists then you need someone handy to look more at things like compression and timing.

YOU ALWAYS START SHERCOS FIRST THING IN NEUTRAL OR ELSE!

cleaned carb etc,put fresh petrol in...started 3rd kick this morn without twisting throttle.Cant realy moan about that.(my old`92 gasser still starts 1st kick EVERY time!I think i`ve been spoilt).Tried to start the sherco after leaving it stopped for half an hour and the bugger wouldnt start without the choke!!.The carb is definatly clean,done the compressed air etc.I`l play about with the mixture screw and see if things improve,

Thanks for the help.

Oh yes RTURNER 51,i did get it from NTB.Bet you glad you didnt eh??

Seriously though,its in mint condition,totaly un-marked,just doesnt start like me old gasser!!

Edited by gasgasssser

:) Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but.... I've heard of a few 04 shercos with weak spark problems.. just a worst case scenario thing.

I owned a 250 '04 with a poor spark-- try closing the plug gap.The symptoms you describe for poor starting are the same as I had on my '04. Hope i'm wrong! it's been known before! :D

Just in case the thread goes down the line of the "Common Problem" I know of a few 04 Sherco's, my own included, never misses a beat. The carburation is one thing I have been reeeeaaaally impressed with. Sweet!

Admittedly i can go a bit over the top with the jetwash on the odd occasion, and lazily decide it just needs a quick filter swap :D I know, inexcusable. :)

I normally know within the first section or two, and dart back to the car - mudguard, airbox, carb off, drop the float bowl, blow it out and all back on, and Even holding an umbrella above it it's 10 minutes max. I can 99% guarantee problem sorted. If I let the fuel get through while I put the mudguard back i can almost guarantee first kick every time.

This is with all bog standard jets etc.

Plug is probably a year old (I carry one with me so if it ain't broke I don't fix it)

The only other single problem I've had is the choke sticking up slightly - happened twice, so no major problem, lever just needed pushing home, but I thought the worst and stripped it down :beer:

One other Sherco I saw with problems had a dodgy connection between HT lead and plug cap.

Sounds like I'm gloating here, but not intended that way, just letting you know that the target should be near perfection, so if you're not getting that, keep looking.

Be good to hear what it turns out to be. Good luck.

P.S. I wouldn't expect mine to start without choke after half an hour to cool down either. It'd be cold again. Did I miss summat?

Edited by bikespace

Thanks for all that,it probably boils down to having a new bike,which needs a slightly diffrent technique to start it etc and worrying that somethings not right.Ive no doubt cleaning the carb has helped.I went into the garage tonight,and it started 3rd kick again,5 mins later..1st kick,so hopefully thats job done. :)