Broken breather tube connector

Shimoni

Hi all,

I have a txt 250 and today the chain fell while riding and hit the small connector elbow,this part broke and a small part of it is still inside,can I take it out some how? Where to this hole goes to?

Does drainning gear oil will get it out?

Thank you all.

20200313_141408.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bilko said:

Drops into the gearbox try and drain. hopefully it will come out with the oil.

Thanks...I can see it inside,it did not got to the buttom.

I tried to push it all the way to the other side( right case cover) but it stays on top.

Any idea how to force it down towards the gear oil?

Yes, like lineaway, I question if there's another piece? From the photo it appear that the "broken" end is tapered as it should be. And it doesn't appear that the elbow material is sheared. I'd think it'd be very difficult for a big, slow moving chain to cut such a soft and thin piping that cleanly. Can we see a photo of the "broken" end? Your elbow pipe may have just pulled out as it's only a weak press-fit.

Edited by d2w

12 hours ago, d2w said:

Yes, like lineaway, I question if there's another piece? From the photo it appear that the "broken" end is tapered as it should be. And it doesn't appear that the elbow material is sheared. I'd think it'd be very difficult for a big, slow moving chain to cut such a soft and thin piping that cleanly. Can we see a photo of the "broken" end? Your elbow pipe may have just pulled out as it's only a weak press-fit.

The broken piece can be seen clearly from the hole,I can play with it inwards and outwards along the hole!

20200314_090957.jpg

20200314_091012.jpg

Yes, it's clearly sheared; it wasn't obvious from the first photo. :( . Is there any possibility to get a "bite" on it using a sheet metal screw with a small O/D? Could you jam it in place well enough to drill it out? Fortunately the tube metal is soft and so I wouldn't be overly concerned if small pieces fell into the tranny. Still, I'd flush the system afterwards. I've heard of riders using diesel to flush debris out of engines as it's less viscous  than oil.

He's another "far-out: idea; lay the bike on its left side so that the piece is backed by the tranny oil. Could you somehow fashion a vacuum to draw-out the piece? Maybe use a large medical syringe connected to a rubber cup which makes the seal? Or just try a standard Shop-Vac pressed to the case. Hopefully the draw of the oil will pull the piece out as well.

Edited by d2w

Just knock the piece IN if it is still in the case.

Don't Freak out! The piece will fall into the hollow of the gearbox primary shaft, so do not be concerned, it cannot get out into the gearbox proper and cause any damage. The Gearbox breather that you broke is part of an air passage through the hollow main shaft, and through the hollow clutch retaining bolt. This allows the gearbox to remain at atmospheric pressure, without losing gearbox oil. It's a convoluted route, but it works.

That little piece you have broken off is too big to pass through the clutch retaining bolt hole, and you are not going to get it out of the breather hole in the left case. The only way to retrieve it is pull the motor, and split the cases. BUT you don't need to do that. It will just rumble around in the little hollow in the primary shaft. Just put a new "L" Shaped breather back in and away you go. (I am a Gas Gas Importer, and have worked on tonnes of these motors, it is not a big deal this one)

Even if you took the clutch retaining bolt out, I suspect it would still be too big to come out the threaded hole, so put it on the list of things to do, if you ever have to split the cases.

Edited by arnoux
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1