How chain links to run 10/46 sprokets.

KyleD22

Hi, just got into trials riding and currently have a 2017 4RT. Bike is standard, and after talking to a few people they advised me to try 10/46 sprockets to slow the bike down and get better grip in the hills especially when wet. Unfortunately they didn't mention I'd need to add links or buy a bigger chain. Could any one who as any one changed their sprockets and needed to lengthen their chain help me out.

Thanks in advance

Kyle

Usually I keep a few links that I’ve taken off a new chain in the past.. if you don’t have spare links you could just get a new split ink or two or half links to suit your current chain and add then in. 
if your changing both sprockets then it may be worth putting a new chain on anyway?
Most trials shops will have split links and half links in stock and may have small sections of chain hanging around. 
you will need to establish what make chain you have as some ‘520’ chains have different pin dia depending on brand.. the brand should be stamped on the chain side plates.

if you find you need a ‘half link’ then I think ‘Regina’ chains are the only ones that supply them to fit their make of chain

• Like 3

11 hours ago, thall1 said:

Usually I keep a few links that I’ve taken off a new chain in the past.. if you don’t have spare links you could just get a new split ink or two or half links to suit your current chain and add then in. 
if your changing both sprockets then it may be worth putting a new chain on anyway?
Most trials shops will have split links and half links in stock and may have small sections of chain hanging around. 
you will need to establish what make chain you have as some ‘520’ chains have different pin dia depending on brand.. the brand should be stamped on the chain side plates.

if you find you need a ‘half link’ then I think ‘Regina’ chains are the only ones that supply them to fit their make of chain

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into getting some half links or even a new chain to suit new set up.

Apologies if this is slightly off topic but  as a 60+ returnee on a Repsol 2014 with a inherited 9-43 set up, i find first a bit short and 2nd a slight stretch. Not a clutch man so maybe a daft question but should I make changes to the sprocket combo? If so to what?