1 of 3 tr34 260 1988

Donniejn

Hello everyone. I'm 62 and just purchased my first trial's bike. I've been informed that there are three types produced in 1988. Again it's a Beta tr34 260. I found numbers stamped on the left side behind the yoke. Beta B 3  This winter I plan a rebuild. Minor one. She starts cold on second kick. Hot on the first. If I can find parts I believe I need a crank seal ( smoker ) and a top end. However far I get I would like it to be correct. Clear coat or paint?  Just to mention one of a hundred questions I have. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Donnie 

Well are you sure you are burning transmission oil? Of course it is old enough to do this. But we have several of these around that are still original engine wise. I assume you know parts are getting very hard to find.

10 hours ago, Donniejn said:

Hello everyone. I'm 62 and just purchased my first trial's bike. I've been informed that there are three types produced in 1988. Again it's a Beta tr34 260. I found numbers stamped on the left side behind the yoke. Beta B 3  This winter I plan a rebuild. Minor one. She starts cold on second kick. Hot on the first. If I can find parts I believe I need a crank seal ( smoker ) and a top end. However far I get I would like it to be correct. Clear coat or paint?  Just to mention one of a hundred questions I have. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Donnie 

I don't think three types of TR 34 in 1988, maybe three types between '87 and '89. The way I remember the transition is based on my recollection from the eighties when I bought a brand new '87 TR34 from Florence at great expense because we had no importer at the time in Australia. 

The '87 TR34 tank was White/Blue/Red from top to bottom and had a MX looking muffler and the worst clutch imaginable that dragged.(mine)

1988 TR34 Replica, Blue/White/Red tank graphics from top to down, muffler that hugged rear sub frame and apparently improved clutch , never rode one.

1989 TR34 Stripey/Zebra, colours as above, muffler hugging the frame, much better clutch than my '87, had a importer now to Oz so got to ride a few, nice bike.

Wow that explains alot. Thank you. That info matches the pictures I've seen. I'm sorry to hear of clutch trouble. I just recently purchased a used clutch assembly from a 89 tr. The plates are worn but the rest is in beautiful shape. I don't need it for mine but at $55 I couldn't let it go by. In case of breakage. Would it help you?  I really don't think I'll ever use it. Let me know.  And thanks for the information. It's going to be a good help. Someone has already worked it over. Fork lowers and tail frame are painted red. That has been confusing me.

13 hours ago, lineaway said:

Well are you sure you are burning transmission oil? Of course it is old enough to do this. But we have several of these around that are still original engine wise. I assume you know parts are getting very hard to find.

I am assuming. I still have the original fuel in the tank. It is Maxima K2 at 80 to 1 witch sounds insane to me! I haven't changed the transmission oil yet. So I'm just starting the investigation. If you don't mind can you tell me if using a synthetic blend 15w - 40 is a good idea? I have no manual so I'm shooting in the dark with no flash light and a blindfold. Any opinion would be a great help 

I would not do anything until you drain the tank and put fresh fuel. I would recommend non ethanol, as you never know what will happen to the tank. K2 is fine, but it`s easier to find Super M. A 10 - 30 or 5 - 30 non-synthetic would be better. I`ve always used ATF, but that`s me. I would just ride it and see if all the smoke is just build up. Way before I would touch the engine. I have an 1986 and it`s still all original. I would just enjoy riding it if the smoke is not the transmission oil.   

• Thanks 1

Yep new fuel is a good idea and I woukd drain the carb too.

Also I would take a first look up how much gear oil there is still inside, may be too little. 

To gear oil: ATF is good too also standard gear oil like SAE 10W/30, I use just HTX 740 to all bikes because it works well and gives the clutch in experience a good feeling. 

The cylinder is coated pistons are a problem as con-rods thus a top job not cheap.

Edited by pschrauber
  • Thanks 1

Love the info. I'll 86 the synthetic transmission oil. The build up in the ex.pipe  is huge. It drips everywhere it can. Even out of the port. I will clean the pipe out. With new transmission oil and fuel. I have ethanol free gas but I'm concerned about the ratio. 80 to  1 scares me. What do you think? I'll be using Maxima K2 which recommends 40 to 1

16 hours ago, Donniejn said:

Wow that explains alot. Thank you. That info matches the pictures I've seen. I'm sorry to hear of clutch trouble. I just recently purchased a used clutch assembly from a 89 tr. The plates are worn but the rest is in beautiful shape. I don't need it for mine but at $55 I couldn't let it go by. In case of breakage. Would it help you?  I really don't think I'll ever use it. Let me know.  And thanks for the information. It's going to be a good help. Someone has already worked it over. Fork lowers and tail frame are painted red. That has been confusing me.

Thanks Donniejn, but that was over 30 years ago and the bike is long since gone.

16 hours ago, lineaway said:

Americans always use too much of everything! Its a trials bike not a screamer.

Yes but be aware, the new fuel blend is not as good as the old one was, the two stroke oil should be useable for that blend too.

Back in the days there was Optima oil form Munich in Gernany and Bultaco sold it as Bultaco Two-Stroke Oil for 1:100 mixture
btw. for ALL Bultacos and it worked very well. Now still only some products meet the requirement / can be used for that lean mixture.

I personal run 1:66,7 = 75ml of oil to 5L = 5000ml of gasoline wich worked so far very good,

Beta recommended 1:50 for the TR 34 with standard two stroke oil but super gasoline.

• Thanks 1

Thank you she's a smoker at 80 to 1 mix and that is why I believe I have a bad crank seal. I've cleaned out the ex pipe and working on the mufflers. I drained the oil and got 280 cc's. Ofcourse I don't know what it is supposed to hold yet. I've prepared a mix of 70 to  1 with Maxima K2, 97 oct. Non ethanol. I'll try 50 to 1 because I am American and do use everything to excess. And unlike my younger days I believe in factory recommendations. She starts so easily. I hope I don't screw that up. 

On 5/11/2020 at 1:34 PM, Donniejn said:

Thank you she's a smoker at 80 to 1 mix and that is why I believe I have a bad crank seal. I've cleaned out the ex pipe and working on the mufflers. I drained the oil and got 280 cc's. Ofcourse I don't know what it is supposed to hold yet. I've prepared a mix of 70 to  1 with Maxima K2, 97 oct. Non ethanol. I'll try 50 to 1 because I am American and do use everything to excess. And unlike my younger days I believe in factory recommendations. She starts so easily. I hope I don't screw that up. 

As I thought already much too little of gear oil, the manual for the Beta TR34 states 1 Liter (1000ml) of gear oil.

Look up the carb specs, a Dell'Orto PHBH 26 SD, with 26mm in diameter with an air screw, an an idle jet nozzle.
I recommend to replace all of the named items below, the silde is expensive but out of soft material, and it is very important to have the right cut away, also that the slide is not ratteling around as then he will destroy the needle and the needle valve.:
- slide No.: 60,
- needle: X 46, in 2nd position,
- choke jet: 75,
- idle nozzle: 55,
- needle jet/nozzle: 266 AV,
- main jet: 100,
- float: 9,5 gramm,
- gasoline valve: 200.

Edited by pschrauber
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the information. That will be a good project for the weekend. I haven't located a service manual yet. I did manage to get screwed by.All Service Repair Manuals. Charged twice and no manual. You and the other people on this site are a tremendous help and much appreciated.