Montesa Cota 247 trail 1977 forks.

frenchy3

Hi everyone,i have a Montesa Cota 247 trail UK registered 1978 but dated on frame numbers as a 1977 model. My question is what type of forks are fitted please as i seem to get two answers in my searches of either Betor or Ceriani. They have the slotted screw in the fork cap with what looks like a bleed mechanism inside it. I am after refurbishing the forks with new springs and perhaps get out workshops to machine up a couple of preload spacers or even fit Magical preload adjusters but knowing what forks i have fitted have stopped me obtaining bits. Thanks in advance.

Montesa 247 3.jpg

Those look like standard Cota 247 forks so they could be called Montesa or Betor-Montesa forks.

I suspect were probably made under contract in the Betor factory in Spain for Montesa. They are slightly different internally to Bultaco Betors and OSSA Betors of the same era and the sliders are unique to the Cota 247.

Ceriani brand forks were made in Italy but forks like those on your 247 are also known as Ceriani type forks because the internal design was originally developed by Ceriani and later copied by other fork manufacturers.

Fork seals might be 35x47x10. Old bikes often use 2 seals/leg which really isn´t needed. Use one seal, for the 2nd make a plastic spacer. Avoid "All Balls" seals. They are of a high friction type. Green SKF (Kit 35M) are among the best

• Like 1