TR280i running issues

MOSSA

Hi, I have a 2012 TR280i bought used last year. The bike ran very good and started in the 1st or 2nd kick every time until recently. 
We were riding in our regular spot and after a big rev the motor died. We thought it ran out of gas but after topping it off (it did take a full tank so maybe it did run out) it would not start.

It's getting spark and the fuel pump is working as it will spit out gas from the fuel line when kicked. 
i figure the next thing to check is the injector but it seems to be impossible to get to with our removing the tank and radiator. I say this because the ECU is wedged in between the frame and injector and there seems to be no way to get it out at this point with out taking everything apart.

I also did the 9v battery starting helper trick with no luck.

Any ideas from similar experiences? Next steps?

I suggest connecting diagnostic software.

Not only will it run the fuel pump (with 12V battery attatched) and make sure primed, but it is a really quick way to discover issues.  The error ‘tab’ will show historic errors.

As Big D says, quite likely the flywheel key has sheared. Same key as GG and Vertigo. It is tight in there to get the ECU out, but it does wiggle out. The injectors were pretty reliable. I'd check the key first. Bye, Peter B.

Awesome guys, thanks for the reply's. So if it is the flywheel key what is happening exactly? Is there a sensor on the flywheel that is out of timing now and the flywheel is not spinning or something?

Unfortunately I don't have the software to plug into the bike. 

The flywheel key can shear and allow the flywheel to rotate slightly on the crank shaft, usually because the flywheel nut will not have been tightened up sufficiently. This prevents the motor from running as the ignition timing is now incorrect.. Well worth a look. There is a sensor pick up external to the flywheel. You will need a flywheel puller, a GG Pro puller will work. Bye, Peter B.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 8:45 AM, Big D said:

Flywheel woodruff key failed?

OMG. Thank you! This happened to me a few months ago. Crashed, throttle jammed, over-revved engine. Wouldn’t restart after picking up bike. Didn’t have the mental energy to troubleshoot the problem. After seeing this post I pulled flywheel. Sheared off as suggested. Thanks, will order a new woodruff key. Any suggestions on preventing it from happening again? Want to assure my riding group they won’t have to tow me back out of the trails for the same problem! Thanks again!

Edited by Viper808

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, MOSSA said:

Guys, are there any tips on installing this part? The direction of the key and any things to know on the engine timing?

Pretty straightforward process. You’ll need a small pick tool or a very small screwdriver to push out the remnant woodruff key. The new key will position itself. The most important think would probably tightening the bolt to 40 ft-lbs. 

3 hours ago, Viper808 said:

Pretty straightforward process. You’ll need a small pick tool or a very small screwdriver to push out the remnant woodruff key. The new key will position itself. The most important think would probably tightening the bolt to 40 ft-lbs. 

Awesome thanks

Being shaped like a 1/2 moon does it matter which direction the flat vs the round shape goes in?