Exhaust De-gooing

dale

Just reading Art,s post for a manual& read HAM2 reply,in which he mentions de-oiling the middle box,what is the best way?chemicals-petrol-heat.sorry if going over old ground,but did,nt catch it first time round.Cheers <_<

Sherco exhausts have a aluminium outer so its not wise using caustic soda, the aluminium may disapear.

You can cut them open and repack them but its not easy, the easyist way is to just buy a new one.

Burning them out sometimes helps depending on whats its like before you start, if you only use your bike in closed corse trials the exhaust slowly fills with oil and carbon so burning it out can help but if you doing road trials the exhaust gets hot enough to burn the oilly carbon deposit off so burning it out with a blow torch will probably make things worce.

You have to be carfull hot to get the exhaust to hot when burning them out, I did one for my brother and got it a bit to hot, it sound mint when I put it back on but a few weeks latter it started rattling. Turns out the wire wool had melted then fell in to big lumps which rattled in the exhaust, also the fibreglass packing in the rear of the exhaust had also burn't away.

I had an 02 2.9 that sounded like a vintage flat tracker. I soaked the exhaust for a couple of days in a non caustic non flamable degreaser and allowed to drain over night. When I put it back on the bike it didnt sound much better, but as the bike was ridden it continued to dry out until it sounded normal again. 1 year later it still sounds good.

I had an 02 2.9 that sounded like a vintage flat tracker. I soaked the exhaust for a couple of days in a non caustic non flamable degreaser and allowed to drain over night. When I put it back on the bike it didnt sound much better, but as the bike was ridden it continued to dry out until it sounded normal again. 1 year later it still sounds good.

<_< C'mon sherpa--spill the beans..name the product :lol:

Don't know exactly what chemical name it was, but it was a product supplied by "Safety Clean" as part of a contract service. I don't think its any different than any other OSHA (or what ever your countries equivalent safety administration is called) approved degreaser.

Never heard of Jizer, If all your trying to do is get the goo out, I would think any automotive type degreaser should work. This method won't do anything for carbon buildup. On the bike I did. I actually put the parts washer hose in one end and let it run for almost the hole two days. It smelled really nasty when I put it back on the bike, but like I said, after it dryed out it was fine. When you look at the cost of a new part its worth the effort, even if it doesnt work.