Alloy Fuel Tanks

Old Gezzer

Hi,

Has anyone have any experience of the Butaco Sherpa Alloy Fuel Tanks currently for sale on Ebay?

These are made in India just wondering what the quality is like. The pictures of them show an unfinished tank without a Fuel Cap.

Any comments are welcome.

Old Geezer

30 minutes ago, jonboy883 said:

I'm fairly sure InMotion has some at similar money, better to buy local, if anything goes wrong, Dave is a top bloke and will sort it, you support the UK trials scene and you know your getting a proven product..

Thanks jonboy83

I think they are out of stock at the moment. I get all my Bultaco parts from Dave. I will email them and ask the question if and when they are getting them back in stock. ?

12 hours ago, Old Gezzer said:

Who? The ones on Ebay?

Yes, like the first picture in Carl Ekblom's post.  I forgot to link my reply to your original question. As far as I know the Indian seller doesn't have proper Sherpa tanks, only Alpina

Also, there are two types of alloy tanks for later Sherpas and are different shapes. The alloy tank fitted to UK bikes from model 159 up to 199A are copies of the original fibreglass tank.  The UK alloy tank originally fitted to the 199B (now reproduced by JC Fabrications - see bottom picture) and the alloy tank now available from Spain (middle picture which is the tank In Motion sell) are based on the last models plastic tank. The slope of the tank where it meets the seat is differs from early to late and the front of the seats for each were shaped to match

You didn't mention which bike you have as there was also an alloy tank/seat unit fitted to the 'slimline' Sherpas in the UK from '73-'75 but that won't fit models 159 onwards and there are no replicas being made of that one. Similarly the later tanks won't fit a slimline model

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woody said:

Yes, like the first picture in Carl Ekblom's post.  I forgot to link my reply to your original question. As far as I know the Indian seller doesn't have proper Sherpa tanks, only Alpina

Also, there are two types of alloy tanks for later Sherpas and are different shapes. The alloy tank fitted to UK bikes from model 159 up to 199A are copies of the original fibreglass tank.  The UK alloy tank originally fitted to the 199B (now reproduced by JC Fabrications - see bottom picture) and the alloy tank now available from Spain (middle picture which is the tank In Motion sell) are based on the last models plastic tank. The slope of the tank where it meets the seat is differs from early to late and the front of the seats for each were shaped to match

You didn't mention which bike you have as there was also an alloy tank/seat unit fitted to the 'slimline' Sherpas in the UK from '73-'75 but that won't fit models 159 onwards and there are no replicas being made of that one. Similarly the later tanks won't fit a slimline model

Hi Woody,

Thanks for everyones help. I have a 198A that I am restoring. It came with I think a period Sammy Miller Fiber Glass Tank which is shot. I also have a correct Plastic Tank which needs painting as it is well worn. But I am concerned about the ethanol issue taking the paint off.

Plastic tanks from InMotion are not very expensive and should be good for 50 years or so.

I have one original 199A plastic tank and one 199B original plastic tank and they are good. Not very glossy but do their job. I have not found any quality marking but I´m quite sure they are made of HDPE

To the best of my knowledge  painting HDPE don´t work.

Painting plastics is difficult (not lasting) or impossible. Colour is added during the manufacturing process and will often be dull or 1/2 dull

Tupperware (PP) can be more glossy but not from paint.

This is my brothers 199A with the original plastic tank. He had an auto body painter friend of his paint it about 5 years ago and so far it is holding up. It lives at my house and after every ride I drain the fuel and leave the cap off for a few days. Im not sure what prep work was done before painting but I do know that the primer used was what he uses on plastic car bumpers.

7925EEDA-88DA-4B99-AD9C-01E7407E6AE2.jpeg

EB42C5CC-2EC0-4CB6-AD58-24D413432EC8.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone's interested, I have an old second hand alloy fuel tank, for a type 159 Bultaco, coming up for sale. It's a bit battered but not too bad. I bought it in England and had a Sammy miller sticker on it. Located in Belgium.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I attempted to buy one of the Indian tanks for my Alpina. After several months eBay returned my money. No reason was given, I assume they are out of stock (although they were listed as available at time of purchase) or are floating money. I would be interested in one from a reliable supplier.