Durable resole?

bikerpet

I've got a pair of Sidi Trial Zero's that have seen one re-sole and are coming due for their second.

The uppers are still going strong but the soles wear through at the pegs far too quickly as far as I'm concerned so I'm not going to put on another pair of Sidi soles.

Does anyone have any feedback about durability of Forma or Gaerne soles?

My other option is to see about getting them soled with Vibram Boulder or Claw rubber - that's pretty tempting as you pretty much know what you're getting with Vibram soles!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

16 hours ago, CJS said:

The sole on my 25yr old Hebos is starting to come off. What do you guys use for sticking new soles on?

I use a cobbler.

My experience is that there isn't a readily available consumer adhesive that really does the job for resoling, I've tried a few and they've all been less than stellar.

Many years ago I designed and built presses for professional re-soling of climbing shoes. The choice of adhesive then was conveyor belt adhesive. You might be able to cadge some of that from a nearby conveyor supplier if you live near an industrial area.

Failing that I'd find a reputable cobbler who has worked with hiking and/or moto boots.

• 1 month later...

😂 a cobbler, of course. Unfortunately I am one of those who does not look for an electrician, nor a plumber, nor a decorator, nor a bike mechanic. Self confessed pain in the a*se when it comes to doing it myself.

I tried evo stick and it lasted a couple if trials before horrific conditions and the need to drag your bike about more than ride it resulted in a one sole separation.

A re-glue and a baking in the sun a couple of days ago resulted in success at yesterday's event........mmm but how long for? 

I remember a two pack glue I bought once for a hot tub, now there's an idea. I feel plenty of life in these boots yet 😁

Tbc

I too have terminal DIY, however sometimes I just have to relent and roll over.

Most rubber contact adhesives work best if you apply pressure, hence why I used to build resole presses. I've yet to find a consumer grade cement that really works for the job, and have to admit that even some of the cobblers I've used in the past don't seem to use anything much better.

One adhesive which I find pretty close to miraculous is Aqua-Seal, it's a urethane adhesive used for sealing wetsuits, tents etc. Similar in appearance to ShoeGoo but vastly superior in my experience. There's another brand sold as Seam-Grip which seems similar but I've less experience with it. One of those might do the trick?

Whatever you use I think it needs to remain highly flexible after it cures.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Just a follow up.
I got in some Forma soles and had my Sidi's resoled by a highly reputable cobbler (previous resole was falling off so not using that cobbler again).

Excellent result. Only 30 hours or so currently but they are working well and showing no sign of wear from the pegs. I'd say this is a good way to go when your Sidi soles wear out.

The Forma soles feel like a harder rubber but have a more aggressive tread, so grip is probably better in some conditions, worse in others. The red patch for the peg feels harder again but absolutely no issues with peg grip.

• Like 1