Dog bone bearing play

JustinC

Hello all,

ive got some play at the rear dogbone  bearing/ bushing (lower right on the picture)

ive ordered a rear swinging arm bushing / bearing kit.

ive not done this before - has anyone got a few minutes to outline the steps involved.

once the dogbone out - I have a socket / bearing puller set to get the old bearings out.

am I aiming to just remove the suspension gear with the swinging arm in situ? Or does the whole swinging arm come off. And are there tips and suggestions to make it easier ?

thanks in advance !

A16A5615-890E-4C23-A0E5-DBB68EF61020.jpeg

33 minutes ago, stpauls said:

No special tools needed.  It's easy.  Our cat could do it!

Very helpful comment that.

JustinC

The swinging arm bearings seldom give trouble and need changing in my experience. However the bearings in the arm where the link plates attach are (same as dogbone) very often in need of changing. If neglected can lead to the lug being ripped from the arm. If changing in-situ it is easier if you make a long stepped drift (easily turned on a lathe) to drive them out and new ones in.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

In the past I would always do with swing arm left in the bike but last few times found easiest to take swing arm out .

Just unscrew the rear brake hose clamps  

If the swing arm dog bone bearing is seized in it gives you best access to get out and replace.

Sockets, threaded rod, vice etc or pullers used to push old out and new in.

Remember which direction the bolts come out of the linkages as some will only go back in from same side due to the stand.

One will wiggle past the chain slider despite looking like it wont.

The main swing arm bearing I have never seen wear on the  8? monts I have had (315/4RT)  just grease and pit back in but if you have new you could swap but you may find the genuine Honda ones better than aftermarket replacement so save for a rainy day.

best of luck

Thanks a lot all three !

Presumably, drop the rear wheel out (support the rear part of the swinging arm on something) and remove the chain and the brake hose clamps before detaching the swinging arm to grease the main pivot.

I’ll give it a go this weekend. 

Grease at the ready !

• Like 1

I agree with jimmyl that its easier to just pull it all the way out to grease it up or replace parts and is my preference. 

I have been able to pull it by putting my bike on a stand, pulling the rear wheel, and then removing everything.  It takes a bit of work to do so without loosening anything up or remove anything as there are a few things that get in the way a bit, but more than possible without doing so.

Good luck this weekend. 

Edited by jonnyc21

In the end I did eveything. Swinging arm out and regreased etc.

The Bungies trick to carry the arm was a neat one.

was quite a bit of forward a bit back a bit with the new bearings to make the same gap either end for the dust seals (prob a suitably sized washer would’ve helped) but got there in the end.

• Like 2