Gas Gas 280 Pro water pump O-ring leak

Glayne

I've tried many things but the water pump, or especially the O-ring assembly keeps leaking coolant after doing the water pump rebuild again. It is a slow drip, I have accused all the other joints of being leaky and changing clamps and such. The leak is around the body of the water pump and I just can't get the surfaces to mate as I would like. I Have tried maxima grease at least 3 times, is there some sort of acceptable sealant that would help that little O-ring? Truth is that I quite like the bike, 2012 Raga 280, no new replacement coming in soon! Anyone had problems with this O-ring?

Edited by Glayne

Which O-Ring? the only one on mine is between the pump and the engine casing but that is to seal oil. There is a clear coloured flat gasket (not an O-ring) under the flange of the brass bush. I fitted this dry on mine and it doesn't leak but a friend did have one he couldn't stop leaking and it was because the body had an almost invisible tiny crack after being attacked by a rock.  

BING! lights just went off in my shallow dome! F___! Crack it probably is...how else would coolant be there. richt my brain missed another, and I reckon you won my last round of dummy as well. I wish I figure out how to dumb down the picture to post it but I bet your right! If I can figure out the crack, I'll figure out the picture of the crack. Thanks richt! I'm sure I owe you twice!

On 11/27/2021 at 6:44 PM, Glayne said:

I've tried many things but the water pump, or especially the O-ring assembly keeps leaking after doing the water pump rebuild again. It is a slow drip, I have accused all the other joints of being leaky and changing clamps and such. The leak is around the body of the water pump and I just can't get the surfaces to mate as I would like. I Have tried maxima grease at least 3 times. Truth is that I quite like the bike, 2012 Raga 280, no new replacement coming in soon! The kids eat my bike budget like a couple kids riding dirtbikes often...

18 hours ago, Glayne said:

BING! lights just went off in my shallow dome! F___! Crack it probably is...how else would coolant be there. richt my brain missed another, and I reckon you won my last round of dummy as well. I wish I figure out how to dumb down the picture to post it but I bet your right! If I can figure out the crack, I'll figure out the picture of the crack. Thanks richt! I'm sure I owe you twice!

🤣 If it's any consolation I don't do it on purpose!

The housings are not too hardy but reassuringly expensive, I hope you can figure out a good fix for it because last time I saw the price of one over here it were £70. about half that of a full unit .😮

Took apart again, couldn't find a crack, pressure tested with my cheek muscles, couldnt feel a leak, re cleaned re assembled... Drip gone. Im not sure I'll call it a win but I won't call it a loss. Still can't post a picture? File too large. Thanks richt

• Thanks 1