Clutch master cylinder piston

kaarelj

What probably follows is rant on repairability of stuff in general ....

Beta Evo 80 jr 2017 - clutch master cylinder with slave cylinder failed. Dirt got in, chewed hefty portion of master cylinder piston gasket and then continued to chew the green gasket on slave cylinder.

Two things to order:
As slave cylinder was ok (with scratches, but ok) so only thing to replace is piston gasket. A very specific O-ring. O-ring is not available separately, so whole slave cylinder has to be ordered. 30-40€ smth like that. Fine, but still a pity that I couldn't order a O-ring only.

Now Master Cylinder piston replacement kit is actually available in the parts list. But it happens that Beta does not manufacture them separately, so I would need to order whole master cylinder set. 25€ vs 120€.

OK-fine, motorsport doesn't have to be cheap. But bikes are so easy to work on and my kid having a bike - one aspect is mechanical education. Disassembling and analysing what went wrong is big part of the motorsport life. And philosophically it is seriously sad to see, that we have to order whole part instead of broken component. What next, shocks gaskets will become irreplaceable? 40€ vs 400€ in money and no kid will ever see how shocks work.

Before I am ordering a new set. Do you have any suggestions?

Is there a third party supplier from who I could order master cylinder which would be repairable and maintainable in future? Or is there any other Beta master cylinder which has spares (asked that from my Beta supplier also). Most likely it does not matter who's to use as the ratio is ~moreorless the same.

GasGas still has master cylinders with repairable internals.

Diameter is the same so it should be good fit. And all models seem to be the same component.

Goodstuff, will change to GasGas parts or who-ever is the actual parts vendor for them.