Sy 250 2006 Suspension Set Up

protruck

Hi All

Your help please, I have a 2006 SY250. Does anyone know the standard suspension setup. Details as follows required:-

Forks

1. Spring/Preload adjustment, (From the fully screwed in position, how many turns out.)

2. Damping adjustment, (From the fully screwed in position, how many clicks out.)

Rear shock

1. Spring length when both wheels are off the ground (on bash plate type stand)

2. Damping adjustment, (From the fully screwed in position, how many turns out.)

Many Thanks

I am No Expert but I Read alot. I just set up my 05, and this is how I did it.

Set the rear shock at 40% Travel, to do this you must have the bike suspended on a stand, Loosen the rear spring adjustment bolts all the way down and measure full travel of the swing arm. Now measure to a point on the rear fender to the center of the rear wheel bolt and figure out 40%. retighten the spring nuts to take any slack movement out of the spring. Now put on all your riding gear, get the help of someone, place the bike on it wheels with you standing in a neutral normal riding position remeasure the swingarm to the fender distance again. Now by adjusting the compression of the rear spring turn the nuts tighter till you are at that 40%number.

Do the front the same way only you just have to loosen the fork with the spring in it to get the full travel measurement. then reinstall and aim for approx 25% by twisting in the top screw of the fork with the spring in it.

For the damping start with them all the out and as you ride adjust 1 Click at at time till you stop hitting the bottom of travel, experiment from here.

I am No Expert but I Read alot.  I just set up my 05, and this is how I did it.

Set the rear shock at 40% Travel, to do this you must have the bike suspended on a stand, Loosen the rear spring adjustment bolts all the way down and measure full travel of the swing arm.  Now measure to a point on the rear fender to the center of the rear wheel bolt and figure out 40%.  retighten the spring nuts to take any slack movement out of the spring.  Now put on all your riding gear, get the help of someone, place the bike on it wheels with you standing in a neutral normal riding position remeasure the swingarm to the fender distance again.  Now by adjusting the compression of the rear spring turn the nuts tighter till you are at that 40%number.

Do the front the same way only you just have to loosen the fork with the spring in it to get the full travel measurement.  then reinstall and aim for approx 25% by twisting in the top screw of the fork with the spring in it.

For the damping start with them all the out and as you ride adjust 1 Click at at time till you stop hitting the bottom of travel, experiment from here.

:blink:

Look Baldilocks, your not helping!!

I know you have given me your suspension settings externally to this, but that's after you have tweaked them from standard.

All I wants from man is some standard scorpa suspension settings. Their must be some disciples somewhere? :blink:

If there is one thing Scorpa could improve on, it is the woeful documentation they supply with the bikes. To be honest, I don't know where one would find out what the standard suspension settings would be. There is a very good article on suspension set up here at Trails Central. I would read it and go from there. I emailed the US Scorpa importer for fork oil recommendations and he gave me these figures: 5 wt fluid, spring side 130mm from top with spring out, tube compressed, dampening side, 75mm with tube compressed. The importer, Tryals Shop was very helpful and quick to reply with my questions.

I don't know that there is a 'standard' setting to be honest. My bike came with with pre-load and damping set to zero on the forks, I think the damping was zero on the rear shock but can't remember what the rear pre-load is but I've put quite a lot on to stop it sumping out, mind you I'm a big lad too!

If I could offer some advice, wind it all to zero and ride a couple of trials. Tweek where you feel it's needed. I ride with everything on zero bar the rear pre-load and it's fine. IMHO, most riders don't really need to mess with the settings and to be honest it could do more harm than good. I would say that it's of benefit to riders at the top of their game but for the average clubman a bike with no tweeks will work just fine.

Edited by boofont

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Bugger God

If only you had spoken me to in my (pre event) prayers before the sabbeth I could have told you. I only took mine out of the box on wednesday, put the bars and foot pegs on and rode it. First thing I did after that was add preload and screw the damper up on the front about 5 clicks.

I think you will find they come from the factory assembled not set, a bit like the seats in a new car...... why put it in one place when everyone wants it higher, lower or at a different distance from the wheel.

Why is it so important to you.... if I can ask :lol: