Beta Evo 2020 300 Knocking Noise

gazzaecowarrior

Was riding my first competition in 10 years yesterday and noticed a knocking sound whilst riding between sections in 3rd and forth gear.  I've never noticed this noise before and I'm convinced I can't hear it in the sections or when I'm practicing. Certainly isn't there whilst revving Bike stationary.  Bike is completely standard. Air screw set as per factory. I've never touched it. I run Castrol power 1 racing at 65 to 1. Could this be pinking ?

I think the bike is probably coked up quite a bit as I could see it was smoking like mad when riding distances between sections when it actually had the chance to heat up properly. My usual riding is very slow section type practice and it never gets a long run or a chance to burn off combustion by products. I'm due to repack the silencer and burn off the exhaust this week. 

I noticed my chain tensioner has quite a bit of lateral play and needs replacing and my sprocket side swing arm bearing has gone too. I'm changing these this week but I don't think the noise is coming from these but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks 

Hi gazza, I had a knocking noise from my 2016 Evo and my 2019 Evo. Both times it was the front sprocket. 

As you say there is noise when revved stationary, but definitely there riding in between sections.

As the sprocket wears it makes the chain jump up a bit causing the noise which you think sounds expensive !

Put a new sprocket on the 2016, problem solved !

On the 2019, with me being tight, I actually filed the sprocket back in shape and that solved it.

If you have a spare sprocket in good condition 10 or 11 tooth, give it a go, nothing to lose and possibly a cheap fix.

To be fair, I think that the worn swingarm bearing isn't helping the situation, but your getting that done, but do try that sprocket, it done my head in for quite a while and I asked a fair few people, but came up with no answers 

Good luck

1 hour ago, peter_steer said:

Hi gazza, I had a knocking noise from my 2016 Evo and my 2019 Evo. Both times it was the front sprocket. 

As you say there is noise when revved stationary, but definitely there riding in between sections.

As the sprocket wears it makes the chain jump up a bit causing the noise which you think sounds expensive !

Put a new sprocket on the 2016, problem solved !

On the 2019, with me being tight, I actually filed the sprocket back in shape and that solved it.

If you have a spare sprocket in good condition 10 or 11 tooth, give it a go, nothing to lose and possibly a cheap fix.

To be fair, I think that the worn swingarm bearing isn't helping the situation, but your getting that done, but do try that sprocket, it done my head in for quite a while and I asked a fair few people, but came up with no answers 

Good luck

Thanks for the info. Chain and sprockets are original and I've ridden the bike a fair bit. Time for a new set maybe.

Regular knocking noise with older chain especially on road or riding across fell can be caused by a worn split link, suggest try a new split link to start with, do not need to change full chain and sprockets unless they are worn out.

• Thanks 1