Water Pump issue with the 2013 Gas Gas TXT 280cc Pro Factory Edition

mladenjovanovic

Hi everyone,

I am in the need for some help regarding water pump for my recently purchased 2013 Gas Gas TXT 280cc Pro Factory Edition. Previous owner noticed some coolant mixing in the oil in the screen, so we purchased the water pump service kit. Apparently the problem was gone. Bike was in the workshop for two months, being working on it and getting some parts (I am located in Serbia, so it hard to get the parts here). Few days ago we managed to fix it completely, and just after we changed the coolant in the radiator, we did notice oil was mixed with the blue coolant again. Now I am again looking for parts to fix it. One solution is to get the service kit again, but my friend who is fixing the bike prefers to get the whole water pump. I have reached out to some dealerships in Spain and France and I've got two part numbers:

MT55000CT-CSV-1 (2015+)
MT280210008CT (<2015)

The second one (MT280210008CT) is available no where, and MT55000CT-CSV-1 is apparently available only for 2015+ models of the bike. On some site they said they are completely compatible. So not sure what to do - any help is highly appreciated. Bike was sitting in the shop for two months, and I cannot wait to ride :) 

Thanks in advance,

MJ

IMG_2824.jpeg

IMG_2825.jpeg

It maybe you still have some coolant remaining in the gearbox and you need flush the gearbox a couple of times with fresh oil.

Both water pumps are interchangeable on all Pro models 2002 to 2023.

8 hours ago, richt said:

It maybe you still have some coolant remaining in the gearbox and you need flush the gearbox a couple of times with fresh oil.

Both water pumps are interchangeable on all Pro models 2002 to 2023.

Thanks Rich. We have changed the oil few times exactly for that reason and it was working "fine", but the bike was not ridden. Once we have changed the coolant (actually put the coolant in the radior, since the previous owner put the water), it started mixing again right after being fired up. 

Thanks for your input on the models - it reduces my effort of finding the part tremendously. 

Coolant can only get in the gear oil through the water pump seal. So the seal may damaged, or fitted wrong way round, or the cooling system is being excessively pressurised. I have had this and the pressure was caused by a leaking cylinder head O-ring, A quick test for this is to run the engine with the radiator cap off and look for any air bubbles or or hold your thumb over the top to seal the system and remove it after a few seconds, if air pressure or coolant blows out then you may need to remove the cylinder head check for cracks and replace the O-ring seals. Be careful because if the hot gasses are leaking into the coolant it will get heat up much quicker than normal.

Hope this helps

Good luck.