'02 REV3 ignition problem. Kickback/backfire

Ftwelder

I have had the bike for a couple months and really like it.  I had a little tip-over on the left side today and when restarted it ran well for 10 seconds then started backfiring violently then stalled. I tried restarting and it kicked back hard several times but never fired up. It acted like the flywheel key was sheared but upon disassembly was fine. Does this sound like the ignition module? Thanks for looking.

After the fall and first backfire episode, I opened the throttle all the way, kicked several times and got nothing, not even a pop, closed the throttle, kicked again and several more hard kick-backs. I returned to work and removed the plug and it was very sooty (way more than normal used plug from this bike) I then put a new plug and nothing changed.

I did not inspect the kill switch but I did just remember that a riding buddy asked me if I had whacked the coil guard on a rock (highly possible) but I overlooked that.

Ill take another look in a couple hours. Thanks!