Suspension Setup

lpd

I have a TXT 200 and have been experimenting with the front end suspension. Here's what I have found. To get 2 inches of sag on the front end, I have to loosen the bolts above the springs and I get almost 1/2" of static sag and 2 inches of total sag with rider ie: me. I am light 155 lbs. When I tighten the bolts down a few threads, I have no static sag, but only an inch of total sag. With the two inches of sag the bike appears to ride clunky in the front, and if I lean my weight forward on steeper climbs I lose back wheel traction. If I set it up with the 1" of sag when I lean forward I have better rear traction and the front feels less sloppy.

I'm under the assumption that the bike should ride with 2" of sag for optimum results. Not sure how to achieve this without the static sag? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Peter

The bolts you mention involve the spring-preload?

My GG 2002 pro doesn't have adjustable spring-preload, just forkcaps. To change spring preload i have to put spacers in the fork to accomplise that.

Maybe there are spacers inside the fork?

What about your back-suspension? Is there a problem there with riderssag?

How my bike is set up is that the spring fits overtop a rod that runs up the center of the spring. The rod is threaded at the top. A bolt with a plastic washer threads on the rod to hold the spring in place. A stock preload spacer sits ontop of the nut/plastic washer and then the adjuster cap on top which threads into the fork leg. I noticed that the amount of tension I put on the nut/washer onto the spring sharply affects how the forks ride. If I put over 1 inch of sag the bike feels sloppy in hte front end and I lose rear hookup. If I have the bolt cinched down on the spring a little more the rear tire hooks up easily especially on steep climbs where I have to put my weight more forward to avoid a flip.

On the gasgas suspension setup I misread the article and thought 2/3's sag on the front is recommended. I read it again and noticed that it recommends 1/6 sag which for my bike would be an inch.

My rear suspension is fine although I need to rebuild and grease my linkage as there is a little play in one of the bushings. This should cleans up the suspension too.