TRS exhaust repack - best technique?

bikerpet

I busted the end cap on my exhaust so had to remove it and do some surgery (replaced the plastic flange that the captive nuts connect to with aluminium riveted to the main body. We'll see how that pans out.).

I tried repacking the glass into the end cap but struggled to get it all back in without it pushing down into the main pipe as I pushed the cap back on. The difficulty seems to be that there is very little space along the sides of the cap, so the packing gets dragged back as I push the end cap on.
It seems to me that the bike is now louder than it was. I hate noisy bikes!

Does anyone have a recommended technique for repacking these things?
Is it better to remove the perforated pipe, wrap the glass, put on the end cap (stuff it full if needed), then fit the whole assembly into the pipe?
Or is it better to fit the wrapped perforated section into the exhaust, then jam the cap on?
Any tricks to getting a really good fill?
Any tricks to getting everything to line up and socket together correctly?

Any suggestions very welcome!

13 hours ago, bikerpet said:

I busted the end cap on my exhaust so had to remove it and do some surgery (replaced the plastic flange that the captive nuts connect to with aluminium riveted to the main body. We'll see how that pans out.).

I tried repacking the glass into the end cap but struggled to get it all back in without it pushing down into the main pipe as I pushed the cap back on. The difficulty seems to be that there is very little space along the sides of the cap, so the packing gets dragged back as I push the end cap on.
It seems to me that the bike is now louder than it was. I hate noisy bikes!

Does anyone have a recommended technique for repacking these things?
Is it better to remove the perforated pipe, wrap the glass, put on the end cap (stuff it full if needed), then fit the whole assembly into the pipe?
Or is it better to fit the wrapped perforated section into the exhaust, then jam the cap on?
Any tricks to getting a really good fill?
Any tricks to getting everything to line up and socket together correctly?

Any suggestions very welcome!

@bikerpetObviously I do not know exactly what you are doing but going by what you say it sounds like you are trying to cram too much packing in there , the silencer neads to absorb the sound wave so the packing should be fairly loosely packed not solid or the gases will just pas through as if it is a piece of solid tubing , perhaps thats why it sounds louder than before.

Edited by Tr1AL

I was just trying to get the OEM insulation back in the pipe.
I gave up and removed a little bit so I could get it all back together.

I've had Silent Sport packing recommended so I've ordered some out of Germany. I expect it'll be a while before it arrives.

Still interested in anyone's best techniques for repacking.