348 Gear box problem?

DavidSweden

Today I drove the bike for the first time after rebuilding the engine, unfortunately there is a problem shifting the gears.

There are a lot of false nuetral between the gears, is there is some way to adjust the shifter mechanism to get a smooth gear shift.... or have i made a mistake when reassembling the motor?

Need a better description but if it shifts through every gear and the lever springs back to centre after shifting, you likely have it together right, how well everything slides is dependent on how careful you were on assembling all the sliding parts and condition of the shifter forks, bent or worn shift forks will cause imperfect movement of the spur gears but you should notice that on disassembly or by the metal shavings in the oil changes.  What was the condition of the shifter forks when it was apart?

I suspect the shift eccentric may not be adjusted correctly. This is easiest to do with the clutch removed. Spin both shafts so that all 5 gears can be selected with a minimum of further turning of the shafts. The shift detent plunger and spring must be in place. Set the eccentric in the middle of its range. Now shift down into 1st and release the shift lever. If you see that the shift drum moves (ever so slightly) as you release the lever, then you need to adjust the eccentric. The plan is to have each downward movement of the lever put the shift drum in exactly the correct position. The shift detent plunger should not "assist" in rotating the drum even slightly, after you let go of the shift lever. Now pull the lever up into second gear. Release the shift lever. Once again, you should not see any further movement of the shift drum after you release the lever. If you do, then you are moving the drum too little, or too much, and that is what the eccentric adjusts for.

• Thanks 1

I adjusted the shifter drum but still have a problem shifting the gears. There are false nuetrals and the gears sometimes grind, also the gears lock and it takes a few trys to get the gears unlocked and shifting again.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Do you have a problem with it slipping out of gear and back into neutral? I had a '76 348 back in the early eighties and there was an aftermarket kit you could buy that might help. I can't for the life of me remember what I did to install it. Hopefully this gets read by somebody else that had the same problem and bought the kit.

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, DavidSweden said:

Does anyone have some instructions on how to set uo the gearbox?

Do you still have the original manual?   Almost certain it came with one like the 360VA did.