Seeley Tank Unit / One Is Wider, Who Knows Why?

scrumpyjack

Well the bike i am selling on ebay has the wider tank, the flat part of the top where the tank filler pops through is noticably wider by about an inch, i take it these are very sought after, i should add this to my description

cheers John ;)

I'm with Big John on this.

I understand that Colin Seeley had a batch of larger tank and seat units made to hold more petrol for the bikes used in the Scottish in 1980.(Lejeune and Hattori)

I can remember seeing a larger volume tank/seat unit for sale in TMX years ago, it could be one of those, in which case I would say yes it is pretty rare ;)

Is the carb to airbox hose unique to the seeley??... i have a new one and dont know wether to keep it or sell it,.. and i dont think the tank is any bigger, it may have just seemed a bit bigger because it is on the bike and has the fuel tank in it.

;)

I've had four Seeley Honda's- Nice little bike as long as you get one with the gusset under the headstock and thicker supports on the frame for the swinging arm spindle.I bought the very last one, Frame No SHT 1275 . Went to Colins shop to collect it and what should have been a pleasurable experience turned into a nightmare.Car tax or whatever it was had just been applied to bikes- but only if they were road registered. Well i didnt want to road register it but Colin still wanted the tax. Anyway, i won that one after a big argument, at least i thought i did till i got it home and found he'd nicked the CDI unit!

Yes it was Bill Pyes seeley, as i said in the ad on ebay Bill had asked me to sell it for him after he saw me sell mine, but it was easier just to give him the cash and take it away, that way i took control of everything... Bill is a bit wary of ebay and is fussy who he sells his bikes to, so this way he wont have to deal with the buyer.. any one can phone him at his garage "Frankfield Fantic" on 01642 722378, he will be more than happy to talk about the bike, he has told many people over the years that he would NEVER sell this bike, but he has decided to use a Fantic for setting his trials out, i guess it is better for business..!!

Personally i always have 2 bikes that i use, a fantic 240 that i use every week, (and win on regularly) the other is a Honda TLR, i sold the TLR before christmas and then sold my Seeley that i had stashed in the back of the garage to give me the ready cash i need to build the new fantic that will become my primary bike, it is a fantic 301 with the forks and wheels from a fantic section, and will have the mono-shock removed and made into a twinshock. So i am selling all my Honda spares as i dont intend to have another.. lots more to list on ebay as i dig it all out.

I hope this helps people understand where i am coming from, those of you who know me will understand that i belong on a Fantic ;) Alan Cross

This bike is for use in modern trials and nationals, when i ride in twinshock+pre 65 class trials i use a different bike, sometimes i borrow a 530cc enfield from nipper pattinson,,, but what really floats my boat is beating modern bikes on an old heavy twinshock!! ;)