SSDT Newbie

femi

Hi there! ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm from Germany and will take part at the SSDT with a friend both as newbies. We got some information from another German rider who took part last year but it would be great to get some information from experienced SSDT riders. ๐Ÿ˜Š

ย 

So first question at this point..

Is it possible to camp in a van at the paddock or close to the paddock?

ย 

Thanks a lot in advance, mates! ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

The WHOOP UCI Mountain Bike World Series is BACK at Nevis Range, Fort William in 2024 with the legendary Scottish venue set to host the opening downhill round on the calendar from 3โ€“5 May 2024!!

The general area is going to be veryย busy.

ย 
ย 

Have a look on YouTube. There's a chap from Northern Ireland did a series of about 6 videos on preparation for the SSDT. I don't think it will answer your specific question but you will certainly gain something from it. Also look at the bike preparation advice on the Beta UK website. Even if you're not riding a Beta you'll find a lot of the information applies to any bike.

ย 

As a former competitor the main pieces of advice I would give to a new rider at the SSDT are:

1) prepare yourself physically (although it's too late now to do significant training for this year's event) - they are long days and you will find things very challenging.

2) don't hang around looking at sections, time can be tight and you must keep up, in fact give yourself a bit of leeway for getting stuck on the moors or having machine trouble if you can. The experts who spend a long time inspecting sections are also those who can absolutely fly over the moors to keep up on time.

ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ย 
On 3/16/2024 at 5:19 PM, trapezeartist said:

Have a look on YouTube. There's a chap from Northern Ireland did a series of about 6 videos on preparation for the SSDT. I don't think it will answer your specific question but you will certainly gain something from it. Also look at the bike preparation advice on the Beta UK website. Even if you're not riding a Beta you'll find a lot of the information applies to any bike.

This is them here

ย 

• Thanks 1

ย 

Thanks a lot for the information!

Meanwhile we managed to get a spot at a camping ground close to the paddock.

Physical training is in progress, of course. I already watched the whole YT series.

I know it's a hard timeline so we planned to go through the sections rapid.

We are both very experienced riders but there is no training area in Germany that comes any close to the terrain we will have. ๐Ÿ˜…

I started moto trials early at the age of six and did countless competitions in youth (40 today). Had a lot of breaks during the years and got a TRS in December just for the SSDT. I promised my mate to join if he can start and luckily we both are able now.

ย 

One more thing I'm wondering about..

There will be some sections that end at the start of the next section, I heard. Is it allowed to rest between these two sections? Or do you have to go through both sections in a row without resting?

ย