Old Git On A Bike

steve

Hi all.

I just bought my first cyclo Trials bike - I'll be 37 in a couple of months though and I'm so unfit just tying my shoes is an effort!

I won a Mission Prodigy with Magura hydraulics for a ton on ebay and I'm expecting delivery soon.

I just need to find some where to practise, lose a couple of stone in weight and I'll be away!!

Are there any other late starters to bike trials out there?

Edited by steve

Glad to know I'm not the only old git who won't grow up!

A new guy started at work recently who has an Onza T bird. He hasn't been riding long though so isn't too good yet. I tried his bike and decided it would be good fun as I no longer have a modern Motorbike.

I went for a 20" bike on cost really. I have read good and bad about the Mission Prodigy but for

I bought an Onzo a few months ago and have been on it a little a bit and im just over 40. I thoroughly recommend it. It helps with the balance a lot and of course fitness. I hope to do a lot more on it now the lighter nights are coming in :blush: also, I fall off it a lot less than I do the Sherco :)

Whatever it is just ride it... if you get good enough or want to step up then either upgrade the frame or sell it and get another. At our age it isn't so much of a fashion war anymore!! ... read the kiddie cycle trials forums and you would believe that you have to spend

I picked the bike up at the weekend and overall I am fairly happy with it.

I was a little disappointed to see both tyres almost slick which wasn't mentioned in the listing. I have ordered a pair of Creepy Crawlies for under

Steve,

I've had the bike a month but only been out on it twice so far. I feel like my balance is improving and I can lift and place the front or back wheel without falling off a lot better than I could. Just need time on the bike and to watch a few good riders to see what they do.

Cheers,

Tony

I have been out on mine once so far and was quite pleased with my riding considering how long it's been since I did anything. I always messed about on BMX's when I was a kid and even attempted to build a cyclo trials bike for training whilst I was riding Motorbikes.

I can do the hopping on the back wheel and did a couple of small drop off's but it's going up the steps I am struggling with.

My problem is not the technique as such but timing it with the pedaling! It is so much easier to just open the throttle.

I rode with 3 other lads of varying abilities, all better than me (for now) I did have the upper hand on one thing though as I managed to pull of a load of front hops - much to everyones amazement (including me!) nobody else could do them so I decided that it was a good time to call it a day.

• 5 months later...

Glad to see there are other old farts out there jumping in to the bike trials scene.

I'm 47 - have ridden all my life, most all of the various disciplines, but my first love is trials. I started motorcycle trials when I was 15 cuz my parents wouldn't let me race motocross, but they thought trials was safe (of course they never really watched what we did...).

As a kid I was successful getting up to Expert class here in the states by age 17, and was just a few points short of Masters before I went off to college, and sold my TL 250.

While I was a kid though I learned how to weld, and butchered up an old BMX bike by raising the bottom bracket and home built a trials bicycle! Problem with it was that it didn't have a free wheel, so couldn't back pedal...

Anyhow, bottom line, finally got back in to motorcycle trials a couple of years ago and of course am having the TIME OF MY LIFE! So I started watching videos of bicycle trials, and love the fact that there is so much available terrain where I live to bicycle trials (can't do much local on the motorcycle because of land and neighbor issues). Thought I was too old for this, but now that I see others getting back in to it, I'm excited.

Shopping now for a used trials rig to practice on.

Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys,

glad to hear older people riding since no one

around here does only us younger lot

if your after something to watch to learn there is

a dvd out by Ryan Leech (my fav rider,haha)

he has a dvd out called learning the art of trials,

it has basically everything u could want to learn from starting

to being a lot better

hope that helps i thought it was gud apart from the stuff i knew

after that was alot harder which is very tricky to get

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

r2w trials, how did u get into riding with those legends?

where bouts in country do they ride? or do they stay in wales area near them houses?

would love to ride moto trials with them since nowhere near gud enuff on pushbikes,lol