1998 315r

yacapo

i have found a 98 315r that i am thinking of purchasing, is there anything that i should look out for about that year model bike? i have been out of trials for about 10 years so i dont know very much about the 96 on up bikes. any info would be greatly appreciated.

:thumbup: You're testing my memory now ,but heregoes:-

Check for a big end knock.. not that it is a common problem on these 315s but I seem to remember that Honda only make a complete bottom end (CR250) available,which is very expensive!

Check for too much freeplay in the rear linkage. This shows that the bike has been generally neglected because the linkage set up on these bikes is very good(dowty washer/seal assy's) compared to others (GasGas..Sherco etc.).

The 'eyeball' bearing in the rear shocks are very expensive to replace too!

Ideally you want to see some chicken wire/guaze in the rear mudguard breather holes.. this will have helped keep the very worst of the crud out of the filter.

On the subject of the filter ...it has a little cowling on top with 2 bolts in it.If it's not there then the motor has ingested serious crud in the past.

Check that all the gears can be selected ( I know the clutches drag on these 315s ),I've seen a couple of self detonated gear boxes before.

Don't be put off by my check-list they are great bikes,see my previous postings on the subject.

There is a guy on these forums called Rappers he is a demi-God when it comes to Montesa 315s..he is much more clued up than I am.. lets see if he responds

P.S. If you do get one never,ever put the fuel tank on in a hurry..you will trap the throttle cable and not realize until your bike disappears over the horizon without you ;)

Edited by HAM2

:thumbup: Found it..from a previous query:

My mates have had a lot of 315s over the years and I recall the 99 was very pokey compared to the 98,2000,2001,2002.

It may have been that the previous owner had tweaked it in some way , I just don't know!

My personal favourite was my second hand 98 :

Excellent for learning on(dropping) , gripped like a limpet and required very little maintenance.

I dropped it on rocks..logs..steps..me..it fell off the bike rack at speed..I fell in a river with it (fully submerged and engine running), field stripped it and carried on riding.

I sold the bike (at a