Cabestany Replica

wayne thais

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you tell me the reason for using the shorter swinging arm. I have noticed this mod mentioned before but nobody explains the theory for actually carrying it out. Is it for an expert only type of bike or is it beneficial to us mere plodders too. Thanks in advance.

Could you tell me the reason for using the shorter swinging arm. I have noticed this mod mentioned before but nobody explains the theory for actually carrying it out. Is it for an expert only type of bike or is it beneficial to us mere plodders too. Thanks in advance.

I too am interested in the theory of a shorter swinging arm? Does anybody have some reliable knowledge on the subject?

i dont have a clue if this is why the swingarm is shorter but heres how i see it,

If the swingarm is shorter;

a, there wont be as much leverage on the rear shock,

b, there wont be as bigger gap between sump and tyre so you are less likely to hit the linkage on corners of steps etc

The shorter swing arm would be a 125 swing arm and it would make the bike turn better since the wheel base is shorter and moving the rear wheel in closer to the center of the bike would make the front end lighter. I think this would help everybody not just experts.

New foot peg location? are they lower? If they are and with the shorter swing arm and the Keihin carb I wish I would have waited for this instead of getting a 06. I might have kept it then, I didn't feel comfortable on the 06 because the pegs always felt too high.

Edited by sirhc

The shorter swing arm would be a 125 swing arm and it would make the bike turn better since the wheel base is shorter and moving the rear wheel in closer to the center of the bike would make the front end lighter.  I think this would help everybody not just experts.

New foot peg location? are they lower? If they are and with the shorter swing arm and the Keihin carb I wish I would have waited for this instead of getting a 06.  I might have kept it then,  I didn't feel comfortable on the 06 because the pegs always felt too high.

Sirhc,

I've heard a lot of people talk about the lower and farther back footpegs fpr Shercos. Is this a preference thing or a a Sherco flaw. Most other bikes I have tried seem to take less efort to turn than the Sherco. Just wondered if this is a major factor?

As far as the shorter swingarm goes, I agree with you. The shorter swingarm would equate to a shorter wheelbase and easier turning rig IMHO. I'm just a regular guy though.... :D

kbell,

I can't say it's a Sherco flaw since I am the only one I know say that and a lot of my riding riding buddies have them and love them. It must just be a preference thing....Maybe Cabestany feels the same way coming from a Beta a few years ago. I haven't seen where the pegs are moved to so who knows :D BTW I was about to buy a 125 swing arm for mine before I traded it :D

kbell,

I can't say it's a Sherco flaw since I am the only one I know say that and a lot of my riding riding buddies have them and love them.  It must just be a preference thing....Maybe Cabestany feels the same way coming from a Beta a few years ago.  I haven't seen where the pegs are moved to so who knows :D BTW I was about to buy a 125 swing arm for mine before I traded it :D

Do you remember how much the swingarms were?

I've seen tons of people running the lowered and setback pegs on Shercos and have heard many complaining about the stock pegs being too high. I just wondered if the lower and back pegs might be too much for some or what exactly the trade off would be?

The reason I ask is that I'm either going to do some mods to my bike or get a newer Cota (2T or 4T) or maybe a newer model Beta.

I don't remember how much the swing arms are exactly I think something like $350.00 U.S. dollars "I don't know where you are from" I would have bought one at that time but, they didn't have any in stock and they where going to be getting some for stock.I have ridden my buddies 06 125 and I could feel a small difference in the turning but, for somebody that already feels comfortable on their bike I don't know if that small bit would be worth the trouble.

As for the pegs they are what 3/8 or 1/2 inch lower, not really that much so I don't think they would be too much for anybody and I don't see a down side other than you may hit your feet more but, I don't think that is really a issue with just that little bit lower.

Edited by sirhc