Hello From Penno 350

penno350

:thumbup:

Hello everyone, I'm currently rebuilding a 350 199a and hopefully this forum will prevent me entering therapy for a little while longer. I bought it off e-bay and it looked ok and I was willing to take the risk. I think I've managed to salvage the frame and one bolt! However, the combined expertise of everybody out there may help me to get to the finish.

I scrambled in the 70s and 80s but would like to trial the bike when I eventually finish it along with my son who has just got a 125 Gasser.

In terms of collections I've got bits everywhere, a GSXR750 Slingshot on the road and I am slowly collecting a 78 RM250 when I come across any bits and pieces.

Look forward to talking with everyone

Cheers

GP

Hello Penno 350. I have recently restored a 199B and a 159 back to original show condition. I have always loved Bultacos and have a fair bit of experience in building/maintaining and riding them. Be mindful that a good rebuild/restoration is not cheap but a nicely built 199A will be an excellent bike to polish/look at and ride competitively.

Hi Tensing and thanks for the post.

The first bike I ever 'restored' was a 4 speed sherpa back in the early seventies but I have always particularly liked the style of the late 70s 350s.

You are right about not being cheap, I bought the bike locally off ebay as a non-runner with ignition problems but it looked otherwise sound!!!. A few months later I am bringing it back from nut and bolt level with rebore, new bearings/seals, powder coated frame, new shocks, re-chromed forks etc etc. and hopefully looking forward to riding it in the very near future.

Struggle at the moment is around the swing arm, when I bout it someone had fitted ??lite bushes and everything was seized solid which took a bit of shifting. I bought a Sammy Miller kit to replace them but the nylon outers are squeezing the metal inners. Advice from SM was to 'turn down' the outer diameter of the nylon bushes but without a lathe that sounds a bit hit and miss.

Do you have any top tips on this area?

Cheers

penno350 :thumbup:

Penno, Yes I had a 4 speed as well, with the rounded fuel tank. I wish I still had it..

I think SM's comments are probably right. That may be the only way to get the thing to fit but then you don't expect to be modifying new bits to make them fit. I seem to remember that I got mine from SM, and although the bushes all fitted, when I came to fit the swinging arm into the frame, the steel bush parts were too close in the middle and the rear engine mount would not fit in between, so they had to be relieved to get the mount fitted.

In the past I have had to return bits to SM's due to the poor quality so I don't use them anymore. They are often more expensive than Bultaco UK as well due to the dreaded VAT.

Is yours a 199A or a 199B six speed?