Swingarm Protector

alan bechard

Al,

Why would I want to? If it's the one I think you are referring to above the chain tensioner on the top of swingarm, it does not come countersunk and chain never hits it if adjusted properly.

I recently replaced one on the "02 1.25 because it was corroded. Cost about 30 cents!

The rubber piece comes without that hole drilled in it at all.

I am referring to the rear bolt on the rubber piece, which is actually the front bolt of the black plastic piece that wraps around the chain and goes above the chain as well.

If you use the stock bolt, 5 X 10 it is only long enough to go through the rubber, and just into the plastic piece underneath and does not protrude enough to start into the swingarm. If you use a longer bolt and just mash it down, then it deforms the crud out of the rubber piece.

All the ones I have had, have had the head of that bolt worn off by the chain rubbing on them, so Maybe your's are running at a different angle then mine? (All of them I have did the same)

I am thinking of slitting it from the side, and inserting a steel strip to reinforce that area.

I see which one you mean although I have newer had to replace one, the rubbing block for the swingarm.

If they do not come drilled and sunk, I would have to take the dremel to it I suppose, the stones or abrasive bits may work better than the cutting bits on the rubber to provide a countersink. I use a 3/8 drum sander to clean out the ends of the Renthal rubber grips for bar end plugs and they work well, And a whatchacallit punch(like used for leather) usually makes cleaner holes. Whitney punch?I think it is called.

My ideas for what its worth.

Cheers, :rolleyes:

MC