Cota 25

griffinjay

I've got a 1971 Montesa Cota 25 that I'm interested in selling. It's got the metal fenders and the tank is in decent shape. Here's a link to the brochure photo on Southwest Montesa's site:

http://www.southwestmontesa.com/gallery/72cota.jpg

I can't seem to find any on the internet that have sold recently so I have no idea what it's worth. I do have an interested buyer here in Minnesota.

Any suggestions for how to establish its value would be appreciated.

You might not like this, but I paid $200 CDN for the one I'm riding in the photo.

The chrome need redoing but the rubber is all excellent and the fenders are too.

Runs like new. I'd guess it's worth at least $1500.

Does yours have the lights? The only thing I need to finish mine is a tail light lens.

post-259-1152463042.jpg

Hey, thanks VC, that helps. I don't have the tail lights and mine currently isn't running, though I'm pretty sure with a little concentrated effort, I can get it going again.

You said you estimate yours is worth $1,500. Can you say a little more on how you arrived at that figure? That's about twice what I was expecting.

I know only a little about Montesas from the early '70's (LCU 1H, where are you?)

But these two seem very different bikes.

I assume the older bike has the RHS gearchange and final drive? This will make a difference in itself

However, it does seem that old bikes that look tatty are worth

Griffinjay's photo is of a '72 247 Cota like my latest dinosaur.

For photos of the 25 and all other vintage Cotas go to

http://www.geocities.com/cotamontesa/

and click on 'models'

Of course I'm just guessing at value, but around here Cota 25s are very rare and quite sought-after.

They make nice wall hangings. :rolleyes:

Edited by vintageCota