Progression Of Skills For Us Trials Riders

alan bechard

Nov./Dec. is a great time of year to ride here at TTC. American kids have a long school holiday from around a week before Christmas until New Years and also during Thanksgiving, the 4th Thursday in Nov.

We'd love to have some British youngsters come over and practice and get some of the American kids to join in the fun. They seem to do well to just go ride together and practice and push on each other. It's way better that they see their peers do something, then they'll try it themselves, than if a grownup tells them to do something. They have to figure things out on their own, with only a bit of help when they get stuck. When they have trouble doing something another kid can do then they realize they need help and will ask somebody.

Maybe Tommi will be around some this year, I'll inquire about his availability when I get a chance. He is the kind of guy who would be great for some youngsters to go ride with. He will help when asked but not try to manage anybody. And I've seen him watching some of our U.S. pros when practicing and can immediately spot whatever is someone's difficulty. Sometimes instead of saying anything, he will just go ride the thing correctly so someone can see it.

He is a great potential resource for American trials.

dan