Thinking Of Buying A Aircooled Mono So Which Is Best?

Now this has probably been debated on here many times but i seriously would appreciate the advice.

Some of the local "Classic" clubs dont seem to cater for or want the pre 65 bikes so as they have an air cooled mono class thought i might try that seeing as i'm an old fat git with very little talent so the modern trials are not my cup of cocoa. :thumbup:

Seems to come down to TY250 mono, Beta TR34, Fantic 301/303 i've seen a Montesa 309 and a Gas Gas but spares might be a problem.

TY250 is probably the favourite as good parts availability and bullet proof but are they competitive against the Beta or the Fantic? Seem to remember they could hold their own in the early 80's but i packed up in 85 so dont remember the Beta much.

So come on guys pro's and cons and hopefully you can help me decide if 1. it's a good idea as there seems less and less places locally i can get a good ride out on my B40 2. assuming it's a good idea which would be the best bet for an old duffer like me? B)

Edited by Old trials fanatic

:thumbup: Scorpa SY or TYS 125. Up to date bike geometry and aircooled motor. Excellent bikes. If you want one of the ones in your list I would say Yamaha Pinky, spares are available and they seem to be regaining popularity. PS dont even think of converting it to twinshock, you will upset all sorts. (See other posts re the subject) Thanks Edited by bo drinker

The weight thing doesn't matter, I am around 14 stone and my mate has one and he is bigger than me. They will pull even us fat b******s about. The pre 95 thing does p**s on the firework though. Cheers :thumbup:

Pinky without a doubt, I once took one straight out of the crate/box ran it in with some gentle road miles, tightened the spokes and rode it in the ssdt the following week and all it needed all week was petrol!

Brilliant bike and they come with a seat!

Funny you should say that 2fargone as my recently restored Pinky went on ebay yesterday :blink: , as you say they are great but having spent time and money making it look new I don't want to scratch it again now!! Parts are cheap and plentiful plus they are very easy to work on.

Yep I'd go for the pinky every time, but make sure its sorted though, I know a few people who have them which never seem to run right. altough no-one else seems to bother with the fuel damping washer in the float bowl... get a pinky if you want the best ty, they had a better front brake system than the earlier Rs.

Yes, I reckon a 305 Fantic would be my choice too if a nice example could be found. Had one at the time and it was a very nice bike and I always liked the look of them too. Only thing I didn't like was footrests too high but that is common on all bikes from 80s through to 90s.

Mono Yam wins hands down for reliability and spares availabilty apart from spokes. Rears not available any more from Yamaha, therefore like hen's teeth and fronts probably getting scarce too, so make sure the wheels are ok on any potential buy (Birketts were having some made but not sure whether it happened or not)

They're not as competitive as later Fantics, GasGas and Betas etc when things get on the limit with the trick stuff but that was back then in British and World championship events. In aircooled mono class these days that's irrelevant as sections aren't severe and well within the Yam's capability. Watch the 270 versions as they come in all sorts of states of tune - as can 250 too - ported cylinders, reworked heads, shortened inlets, exhausts etc. Some can just spin up, others nice and torquey and grip well. Try one in snotty conditions before buying if you can. Nice to have if you come accross a good one but not essential as standard 250 has more than you'll need in all honesty. Standard unmessed Pinky the best option.

Me again. :blink: I have the 270 spoke about before in t/shock conversion. Decided not to convert but I have a 250 top end on its way to convert back as I am a novice as mentioned earlier. They all rave about the Pinky so I will get back as it was intended and we will see what all the fuss is about. Besides Pitleys been telling me not to sell it, and he usually knows his onions. :o

Well gone and done it.

Thanks for all the helpfull advice guys.

Couldnt afford a pinky and a TY250S, i know it's not the one to want but it was cheap, came up locally so i bought it.

All i've got to do now is get it in some kind of shape as it's a bit rough.

So loads of stupid questions will be asked so please help if you can as when i had my old one i never needed to put a spanner on it so learnt bugger all about them except they are dead reliable.

thanks again for the advice :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

mmm..interesting stuff..15 n half stone pitley!!!..flipping eck!..

Anyway..(as Pitley knows,..and is sick of hearing)..I want to try and get into twinshock or air-cooled mono class myself..as well as still riding the modern stuff.

Since I love the modern bikes, I really would prefer to have the little Scorpa 125F to enter the air cooled mono class....so...not knowing TOO much about this side of the trials scene, I want to know, just how many events stipulate that the air cooled mono's have to be pre 95?????

Is it the majority of events, or just the odd few???

Personally, I dont see it as an issue, since there are loads of good riders out there on even rigid bikes that would still kick my *** on a Scorpa 125

Oy Stu, heres my opinion.

Scorpa is a great little bike, good for novices. You aint!

Get a pre 95 then if the classes do get changed you wont feel you wasted your time and cash.

Secondly pre 95 bikes are cheaper and most got a seat!!!!!

Stick with the period thing then most folk dont start moaning like the so called Brit bike trick thing.

Only other thing is to get a twinshock.

Majesty or Fantic prob the best option in my opinion.

You need to change that avatar too!

Now you live in a county with decent sections!!

Word of warning, not good to have rigid & a*** in same sentence tho..........

A-SE :wacko:

Edited by pitley