An Interesting Vintage Hodaka

mr clean

• 4 weeks later...

Since nobody seems to be busting down the door to write anything about this bike, I will jump in and say a bit about it. It was built by Mike Lake of Bend, Or. USA from a poor old Road Toad which had languished in the back yard of his mobile home for some ten years. Mike has an engineering degree which is evidenced by the cool perimeter frame he has constructed which nets a 24 degree fork angle, and a 52 inch wheelbase. (same as the trusty Montesa Cota 315 R) He had spent about seven months hard labour constructing this bike. I rode the machine for half an hour after the Prineville, Oregon vintage trials event this spring, and it is a great handling well balanced machine, which as a 100cc reed valved engine has ok power at best, but the fire goes out way too easily. It stalled several times at a low rev roll on with any kind of a load. Also the triangular expansion chamber made this bike very loud and annoying to ride. It would do better with a regular glass pack type muffler. Seems like this bike needs to be singing pretty good to make it up any hills at all. I understand our Designer, fabricator, engineer, Mike Lake has since converted this beauty to a 125 cc iron barrel Wombat configuration, to fit into AHRMA's "classic" class which does not permit reed valves. I wish Mike good luck in the upcoming AHRMA trials series once he has sorted out the initial teething problems with the bike. I enclose another photo of the bike. Tried to post more but software prevented it.

post-27-1156902355.jpg

Edited by JayLael

Thanks for the story on that bike JayLael.

It's interesting about that Hodaka engined bike with the recently made frame being eligible for "classic" class in AHRMA. Are there any limitations on frame construction methods or materials for that AHRMA class?

The rules are subject to interpretation. It is still twinshock, air cooled drum brake. I think the bike is legal as long as no ome makes a stink about it. I don't see why anyone would. That sort of thing just reduces the number of people who want to build cool bikes, and that is no good for the sport. See http://www.ahrma.org/rulebook/sec13.htm AHRMA rules