Securing Trials Bikes In A Twin Cab Pickup

dmartin

I am thinking about buying a twin cab pickup to cart two bikes about on. The bed is not long enough to carry two bikes with the tailgate up. I will have to carry them both with the tailgate down.

I was wondering if any of you know of front wheel holders that can be bolted to the flatbed floor, to enable me to carry two bikes securely with the tailgate down?

Alternatively, any other ideas on how to carry bikes would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi

For the last 3 years I have been transporting 2 bikes in first an Izuzu Rodeo (which has a shortish bed) and now an 06 Navara which is longer.

I have never used the wheel holders, the bikes neatly strap down from side to side. The rear wheel sits on the tailgate and I would recommend strapping this down to the tow bar. Feed a strap between tailgate and rear bed if you are going far as the rear of the bike can hop about. The best and quickest straps that we have found are 3m cam straps from somewhere like Travis Perkins. Use a ramp that folds in half and secure with plenty of bungees. You can buy a net to hook across the back but really best to secure eveything well. In addition to all this you can also lock your bikes to the tow bar if you need to.

With the new Navara I have found that my sons Beta 125 easily fits in at an angle with the tailgate closed. this only works with one bike though.

My son competes in the BYTC and we travel hundreds of miles like this!

Good luck!