Montesa 349

jasper999

Just to add ,I have one of these and it is the right air box,and every time i take the side off my hearts in my mouth in case it snaps while im wriggling it out from behind the frame!It helps if you slacken the nut on the opposite side of the airbox that holds the long rod in place to allow you to prize the rod out of the hole in the side panel.Good luck!

Just to add ,I have one of these and it is the right air box,and every time i take the side off my hearts in my mouth in case it snaps while im wriggling it out from behind the frame!It helps if you slacken the nut on the opposite side of the airbox that holds the long rod in place to allow you to prize the rod out of the hole in the side panel.Good luck!

Good idea there mate :wall: I,m just waiting for my forks to come back then i can finish it off and ride it :)

The lid of the late model 349 airbox is a very tight fit. The way I have found to avoid damaging the lid is to unbolt the whole airbox from the frame brackets first, the carburettor connection need not be disturbed. This gives just enough room to remove the lid safely.

I clean the filter regularly and have found original Twin Air fluid works well on the 349's filter.

The airbox lid can be cracked by overtightening the wing nut. The sequence of assembly we use is to first make sure the stud has been fitted with the two pressed "ears" nearest the lid. The assembly sequence is then mesh, filter, mesh, washer (tight enough not to pass over the "ears"), lid, washer, spring washer and wing nut. This should clamp the lid firmly between the two washers whilst compressing the seal around the rim.

If the lid is bending or is loose around the rim the position of the stud needs adjusting in the nuts at the far side of the air box.

An earlier post mentioned the two brackets on the frame, these are for a separate extension to the mudguard. This is black plastic and is also bolted to the frame at the same point as the front of the rear mudguard. If you send a PM I will forward a picture. The mudguard extension is folded from flat sheet so one could be home made without too much difficulty.

Hope this helps.