Help To Name This

kerabo

cant see an issue... whatever the engine no. the major performance differences between the 197 9e and the 32/37a competion engines are all in the cylinder so as they are an unknown on you bike i woulldnt worry whether its 9e 32 or 37a etc etc. in fact what its called is minor compared to how it runs...

Hi

In my opinion it is a Marcelle scrambles barrell with a home (but well made) made inlet stub.

The engine has been built with a 10E crankcases. Just the same as a 9E but with an upright cylinder.

Do not take too much notice of the engine number. These were just on the inner chaincase and tend to

get swopped between engines as spares and repairs become neccessary to any one engine.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sparks2

The engine number is a plate fixed to the inside primary chaincase, which is detachable from the crankcases, so in the bikes 50 years lifetime, its likely this has been changed, these engine number plates are available (blank) A siba dynastart crankshaft wouldn't work with the magneto type side cover that you have, so the crank would be a 9e thru 36a type (could even have full flywheels and oval rod fitted)with conventional magneto. The gearbox is the important part, wether yours is the wide ratio trials box. As for the barrell, as far as I remember, marcel had the cutout on the fins, to stop heat transfer to the transfer ports.

• 2 years later...

• 10 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just reading the topics and thought I could give some info. I recently bought a Francis Barnet 197 and was struggling with getting some info. I finally searched and joined FB owners club. They gave me all the info I required along with much more. Very very helpful and extremely knowledgeable, could be worth a try.

Good luck with your search

Hi,

The sporty invalid chair at the SSDT was Derry Preston-Cobb, Sales Manager of Invacar Ltd of Thundersley, Essex, who also manufactured, as a side-line, a motorcycle named after the factory owner - Bert GREEVES.

The motor in Derry's invalid chair was set-up by Brian Stonebridge, among others and was more closely based on the 246cc scrambles motor, used so successfully by Brian and then latterly, by Dave Bickers.

Brian Stonebridge, sadly, is rarely accorded the acclaim for what he achieved for small twostroke motorcycles. I was lucky to be a marshall at Hawkstone Park, when Stonebridge was chosen to represent Great Britain in the international team contest, and asked to ride a Matchless 500 scrambler, he said he preferred his own bike, and opted out of the official team to ride as a privateer in the races. He was incredibly fast around the circuit and ended up as the best placed Briton, beating riders like Jeff Smith on his works Gold Star - and remember Jeff and the BSA team regularly had bike set-up and practice days on the works Goldies at Hawkstone.

In recognition of Brian's performance that day the Greeves scrambles models were immediately renamed the Greeves 'Hawkstone'.

Another year Brian Stonebridge was very successful with a Greeves sidecar outfit in the SSDT when there was a sidecar class - but that's another story.

Whatever you ride, enjoy!