XJO 277 Ex Works BSA.

charlie prescott

Hi Guys,

Hi Deryk,

I know what you mean about people that don't know who you are, and what you have done for the sport!!

It Realy makes my blood boil at times, but we are the old timers and long forgotten in most cases.

I feel I have been bashing my head against a wall for years, but still keep on the fight for what I ,think is the way to encourage all classes to once again compete.

And I will continue with passion as long has I can, for the cause of Classic British Trials Bikes..

yes Arthur had XJO the proper one.

But by the time of the picture you published in ORR, above.

Alas there was probably not that much left of the original bike I owned, except the plate.

The proper bike was probably sat in the corner of one of his workshops.

This bike has the Bulto forks hub etc, and a Kendall chair fitted,

Looks like a small finned engine aswell.

But The plot was Classed. Has British and know one took a second glance at the Spanish bits, at that time.

So why oh why do we. Need the fiddle forks now.

Another thing ,if you had have heard this bike on full chat up a steep climb, you would known the outfit was BRITISH and nothing else.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

Found another image for you - but my sincere apologies for the poor quality in this instance.

It shows Frank Darrieulat with Bill Warner in the chair on their way to runner-up spot in the 1958 British Experts - with the suspension leg on his front fork in obvious distress!

They were only a couple of marks behind Frank Wilkins and Kay Saunois, on the works Ariel outfit MOC 3, which I owned some years later.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-74110700-1388675328_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Just for interest, did you realise a couple of the Lampkin clan rode an outfit together..........

Read all about it in ORRe - but here's an advance taster, Pete and Sid (Arthur and Alan to the uninitated) at play on one of my favourite sections, Robinson's Rocks, where I was trying out an old Leica camera I had bought cheaply 'cos it didn't work, and had mended it (another of my hobbies - old mechanical film cameras).

Enjoy

post-19290-0-04559300-1423907271_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi Deryk.

Looks like you fixed it good then!!.

Don't forget Pete, sorry Arthur, was the one that eventually bought the ex BSA works Goldie XJO277, the one above with Frank and Bill riding.

Frank had a pair of Reynolds forks built for the bike before his own built trailing link ones that just did not steer.

Anyway when the Reynolds were on the bike he rang Ken Sprayson up one Monday morning after a trial at the week end, complaining that the forks had bent badly, it was not until later when Ken took a look at a picture taken at the trial, with XJO277

rapped firmly around a large tree that the truth was out why they had distorted.

So Deryk this just proves the power of a good Photo shot, and you have most of that time. Most people just did not carry cameras about then did they.

Keep up the good work with ORR-e.

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott