Peeling Decals - What Glue to Use?

scraggydog64

Hmmmm, Tricky one.

I've just had the same problem on a bike i was doing up for a friend.

I looked at spray adhesive, but i wasn't convinced when reading the can.

So i had some industrial double sided tape. Peeled the Decal back and created a sticky base for it. Then knived the excess off.

Once it was well stuck down, i did my usual trick of sealing around the edges of the decal, with the wifes clear nail varnish to help stop water getting forced under the decal.

So far so good, after several power washes. :rolleyes:

Contact adhesive works as well as anything and is flexible, spray it into the (clean) gap let it dry then push the stickers back down. Wipe the excess off with a petrol soaked rag immediately after youve pressed the stickers back into place.

Hardest bit is getting all the dirt out first.

Edited by GII

Contact adhesive works as well as anything and is flexible, spray it into the (clean) gap let it dry then push the stickers back down. Wipe the excess off with a petrol soaked rag immediately after youve pressed the stickers back into place.

Hardest bit is getting all the dirt out first.

I have had good luck using a spray contact adhesive. Mask the area around the edge of the sticker and the top of the decal, then hold the decal up with a gloved hand and spray a thin coat of adhesive on the bottom of the sticker and the mounting surface. Wait a few minutes for the adhesive to set up then push the sticker back down. Allow things to set then peel off the masking tape. Any excess adhesive uually can just be rubbed off with our fingers as it balls up under your fingers - yet does it does a good job of holding stickers on. As said the previous post - you have to get the dirt out that is stuck to the old adhesive or you will end up with lumps in your decal.