A couple of 72 OSSA MAR clutch questions

yellow_cad

Right now to shift into first with the clutch lever pulled, it sort of snaps into gear. Here are my questions: I read where it says that I should have 1/16 inch of play at the clutch lever on the case. I have 1/8 inch. Should I adjust this down to 1/16 inch? If so, how do I keep the clutch from turning while I loosen the clutch adjusting nut. Also, how much play should I have at the clutch lever? If I have the correct play at the lever on the case, is this the play that I should have at the hand lever? Also, my idle might be a little high. So, is my current 1/8 inch OK and I just need to get the idle down? Thanks for any help on this.

Not sure what you mean by 'snaps', I'm assuming you mean the bike jumps when engaging as it doesn't go into gear cleanly, or without a bit of clutch drag.

In reality, 1/8th or 1/16th - it isn't going to make any difference which measurement you use. Same with the lever, as long as there is some free play, the measurement isn't critical. It's always going to be harder to get it into gear with a high tickover, if there is drag on the clutch.

You may find that the clutch springs are wound tight in making it difficult for the plates to completely release (and a heavy clutch pull) You can play with the spring tension, backing off the adjusting screws until their heads are level with the end of the thread they screw onto as a starting point - or to the point where the hole for the locking wire is just visible. You can adjust the springs through the inspection cover one at a time by rotating the engine. There's just enough room to get the screwdriver blade in. Play with the tension and keep trying the bike. Also use a low friction cable such as Venhill featherlite. You can also lengthen the clutch arm see link below to a bike on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSSA-250-MAR-TWIN-SHOCK-TRIALS-MOTORCYCLE-/200649136415?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2eb79ed91f

You need an offset ring spanner and screwdriver to undo the clutch pushrod nut, or you can shock it free with a socket with a quick whack from a hammer.

I've fitted Barnett plates to mine, lengthened the clutch arm, Venhill cable and backed off the springs. Works pretty well and you barely feel it go into gear with the Barnett plates.

Edited by Woody