2012 St290 Leaking Gear Oil

danny sherco

hi all, I recently had this problem on my 125, the clutch case had bent so I upgraded to a 2013 clutch case that was a lot thicker and I also put in a new gasket yet I still seem to have a little bit of oil leaking on to the sump guard. Any ideas on how I can solve this? Also, where could I get a 2013 model sump guard?

• 4 months later...

Run the engine up to temperature so that the oil leaks more easily. Then leave the bike upright without sump plate and you should be able to see where it's dripping. It could be either between engine and transmission case or between transmission case and clutch cover.

Try your local dealer for sump guard, ask them to measure thickness before shipping.

Edited by jojjas

If you still have problems finding the leak, professional engine repair people have a fluid they add into the oil, that reacts with black (UV) light. The process is to clean the outside of the engine completely, put in the fluid, run the engine while watching in a darkened room and the black light on. The leak usually is very obvious, very quickly. Then drain the oil completely and repair the leak. I don't think the fluid will cause any damage but I would drain and replace the oil as completely as possible just to be safe.