Montesa King Scorpion

yelra

post-18552-0-57884400-1371036984_thumb.jpgI have acquired a 1970 Montesa King Scorpion. It seems in pretty good external condition considering it hasn't been used for at least 10 years, and possibly much longer. Would it make a suitable trials bike or is its specification very different from a trials Montesa of that time?

In the photograph the head has been removed for helicoiling and, as you can see, a number of holes have been cut in the chaincase. Incidentally, why are there two 'plug' holes in the head; is one for a decompressor?

Sorry to be so naive but am very new to this and am keen to return this bike to its natural environment. I would be very grateful for any help, information or advice.

Edited by yelra
  • Like 1

Lovely bike Yelra, please do not try and convert it to a trials bike. I don't think it would make a good trials bike.

The King Scorpion is a sought after bike especially in Spain as very few or none were sold there. It was primarily an export bike for the USA. It appears to be in good condition. It is very complete and original. The only non original parts I can see are: seat, headlight, levers and mudguards.

Yes, the extra hole in the head was for a decompressor or spare spark plug.

Judging by the tank badge (rare piece) it is the first series of production. What is the serial number?

You could restore it its original glory or just get it running and ride it. It has a trials/trail personality. Quite a nice town bike.

More info here: montesaweb.com or southwestmontesa.com

Martin

Martin, thanks for that information, it's very helpful. The serial number is 34M 0620 and it was built in Sept 1970 according to the information panel on the bike.

I've ordered a manual from Southwest Montesa as I'll have to do a bit of fettling - cables, brakes, chain etc - but otherwise I'll leave well alone and ride it as it is.

Thanks again.