Duluth World Round

I think I just watched the best world round I have seen, ten out of ten for all involved, I want to come back and see another at Duluth, what the organizers must have been through before and during the event must of been overwhelming, but they produced a cracker.

The majority of sections could be ridden without a catcher and minder in the section and they were not allowed in, lower ranked riders could get through sections for a three as well as the top ranked riders so the high scoring event compared to today's standards didn't have such a big gap in scores, very tough sections but those with determination got through with hard earned three's instead of fives at the first silly step that stop all but a few, that seem to be the norm in many WR in recent years.

Sections were all good to get too, so following the top lads it was possible to see them ride 12 on the first lap, I stayed down in the stream sections and ran like a blue bottomed fly on the second lap to see them ride the same 12 again, it truly was an first class exciting event.

I saw Doug do the mega get off, and thought it was over for him for the day, but Doug being Doug climbed back on and proceeded to put in the best lap of the second day, he was on the ball at the end of the first lap and was going for gold!! he got the big step and just about completed the

section when he went for a dab on the tricky exit, unfortunately his foot slipped and he was by this time at the top of a rock the size of a terraced house, the minder dived and grabbed the front wheel and was trying to support the weight of the bike and Doug, all slid from his grasp and Doug did a high stepping act trying to grab tree branches on the way down, to come back the way he did was amazing.

The works bikes are performing now and it shows, another thing the smell and the sound of those bikes did get the old blood up and was exciting to watch.

No excuses for any rider I saw, both winners earned the first place on the day and what a pair of days it was, did someone say it was raining? I never noticed.

Big thanks to all for a great week, DO IT AGAIN!!!

I will agree 100% to Ishy on this one. I've seen 7 WR's myself and this one was the best, no doubt. I'm sorry the rain probably hurt turnout among the casual spectator, but for the rest of us it made it GREAT! High praise is deserved for Steve Ahlers & the setup crew, as they hit it spot on with the sections. I know there was much running around and changing things at the last minute to accomodate the weather, which makes the result on thier behalf all the more amazing. There is no doubt that the most deserving rider won on each day, and a hard earned victory it was.

Bruce LeRiche had the hardest ride of his life, but he is all smiles and was thrilled to have been a part of it. I was afraid he'd be discouraged, but quite the opposite. He & Stevie Darrow got back to TTC late last night and have been out practicing today on slippery rocks.

regards,

Dan Brown

Still not home, but on the last leg. I'm with Ishy too on this one. Totally pooped, but well worth the trip out there to see. We walked the sections on Wed prior to the Trial and agreed then it was going to be a good 'un - and it was. Fantastic sections, great atmosphere, friendliest folk going. Agree with Dougie that the organisers really didn't deserve the weather hassles and that the event really was worthy of it's status.

10/10.

I totally concur with Ishy, this was the best ever! I was lucky enough to follow the action on my bike, filming for TrialsTV, so managed to see perhaps more than anybody. Conditions were horrible for a lot of the event, but I just LOVED all the drama. I saw Dougie and bike underwater on Saturday, then Fuji last through section 9 before 9, 10 & 11 were shut on Sunday. Fuji was up to his chest in raging water, trying to stop his bike being swept away! I was only feet away from where Dougie landed from 20 feet up on 13 on loop 1. It was a HUGE crash. I thought for sure Dougie had a punctured a lung or broken ribs... his breathing was so laboured and wheezy. He only had 6 minutes to finish the loop. He came close to that, then went to post the best 2nd loop of anyone! The man is totally superhuman! Anyway, the event was drama all the way, and I can't wait to start on editing tomorrow.