Mick Andrews 1972 Ssdt Winning Ossa,or Is It?

bikeshed1950

You could well be right, Woody.

Also, I think by 1971 the bottom frame rails had been cut off and replaced by

a MAR type sump plate.

Also, another thought, couldn't it have been the same machine, just with developments

and tank repaints over the months/years ?? (a bit like Trigger's brush).

But I certainly remember the unusual bronze/orange tank colour of Paul Brailsford's Ossa.

Although whether it was a bronze stripe on white or a white stripe on bronze is now lost to me now.

Good to speculate though.

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Thanks sparks,that nails it then I do not own the 1972 bike nor the 70 bike because the 70 bike has the old style ossa logo on the magneto cover and mine has the present one.Although it could have been changed due to breakage(as they do).Mine has the bottom frame rail in place and old sump guard.It also has 2 coils ,2 plugs and 2 feeds from the mag.It is orange with a white stripe.I have obtained a copy of a May 1972 MCM.In it is an article by Mick and and a picture of his 1971 bike ,which looks all the world like my bike.Thanks for everyones help and comments.Everyone must agree that this is a great forum.Regards John.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've just been scouring the internet for info' on the bike and dropped on this thread.

My dad bought it in 1973 from a chap called Arnie Taylor, he lived in Woodsetts near Worksop, Arnie did a bit of wheeling and dealing with trials bikes. He later moved to the Mansfield area.

It was known as the Candy Stripe OSSA. Quite a few trick bits on it, twin coils. It had UK registration as well as Spanish and US documentation.

It had been used by Mick for a hill climb event in the US of A once. Which he won.

My dad sold it on in 1975/76.

I believe the reg' number was something like BRA 270L but can't be sure.

I still have two MAR's and a 325 Bultaco, but my time is mostly taken up with classic racing.

Cheers,

www.spencerracing.co.uk 

• Like 2

Thanks sparks 2, im getting somewhere.I bought the bike from a bloke in Clowne in Derbyshire which is not that far from where Mick lives.I should love a photo of Mick on the bike or an eye witness account of the trial.I must say im getting a bit excited about finishing the project and might even start trialing again.I cant be any worse than in the 70s.I was never sober.In fact my wife didn't know i drank until i came home sober one night.Thanks again.

That was my dad, Bill Spencer (senior), he lived on Creswell Road, Clowne, just up from the old bus depot.

• Like 1

Hi Spen,thanks for your interest.I must say that I am in awe of your powers of recall after 40 odd years.BRA 270L,thats the baby.Or could it be a "man thing" and BRA prompted for memory? lol. I knew it had been registed in Spain but had no idea that Mick had used it for hill climbing in the U.S.A. which might explain why the swing arm has a slight extention neatly welded on.It could also explain why I kept falling off it on naggery sections,although that was more probably due to my lack of skill.Anyway,the bike is now running and revs like a goodun despite the naff IRZ carb.I've just got to spray the tank/seat unit if I can find the right orange colour.I'll post a pic on the forum when I've completed it.Thanks for your information Spen,you are a legend.

It was a lovely machine to ride, I did a few schoolboy trials on it. Arnie Taylor bought it from the chap on the log book and my dad bought it from Arnie.

There was some awful green 'Fablon' sheet stuck to the lower part of the tank/seat unit to protect it from further boot damage, I hasten to add I didn't put that on.....

Highest place I ever got was a third on it.

I was at a trial at Netherthorpe Woods, Thorpe Salvin, (my old local course), once and I fell off, the bike turned upside down and screamed itself to a standstill and made an awful noise before it stopped. I feared the worst, but it was just the Woodruff key on the rotor had sheared. The key will show signs of hurried filing to make it fit.

Another time I fell from it and the tank landed on a fallen tree, the fibreglass was pushed in and then popped back out with no leaks. I absolutely loved that bike. My dad sadly died in 2008, he would have been delighted to know it still existed.

Superb bit of kit.

Yes, the swinging arm was reputedly extended for the hill climb excursion.

If I can be of any further assistance, let me know.

Cheers,

Spen.

• Like 2

Thanks Spen,you are a mine of information.I just can't believe than I have a colour photo of the bike with the man himself sat on it.I'm over the moon.I've just been out to the shed to give it friendly rub over and tell it all that has happened.Even though I've recovered the seat,Ive still got that piece of green fablon hanging up in the shed,I cant bear to get rid of it.I've even saved the old seals and bearings which I replaced.Thanks again Spen.

• Like 3