Tiger Cub Engine Identification

samwisemcg

Hi all, long story short, I’ve recently bought a tiger cub and I’m fixing a few minor issues on it. One of the issues is an oil leak from one of the rocker covers. I’ve looked into it and it seems like the engine is very early 1954, but am I right in thinking I have a square barrel and therefor a square barrel head?

I will probably buy a full gasket set for the bike to fix the rocker cover oil leak. However if I buy a full gasket set based on a 1954 engine, will the gaskets be correct for the barrel and head?

Thanks

post-18635-0-55876600-1476708467_thumb.jpg

post-18635-0-17290200-1476708663_thumb.jpeg

Hi I also have an engine marked like this Mine is a roller crank and distributor drive hole Yours looks like the 62 onward type by the shape of it (at rough guess) Rocker gaskets can be obtained as separate parts I have cases where the engine number is on the front mounting bolt lug

• Like 1

Hi I also have an engine marked like this Mine is a roller crank and distributor drive hole Yours looks like the 62 onward type by the shape of it (at rough guess) Rocker gaskets can be obtained as separate parts I have cases where the engine number is on the front mounting bolt lug

You're right, mine has the side points so it would suggest it's 62 onwards. But the engine number dates it as a 1954. Unless the crankcase which has the engine number isn't original to the rest of the engine.