Yambo

SY250 dirt in airbox and carb

40 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I can't see what difference it would make where the filter is in relation to entrance/exit of the box as you would surely want the coarse side facing the incoming air regardless, if it was to serve any useful filtration purpose.

Yeah, but on most bikes the convex side of the filter faces the incoming air since the filter sits on the airbox exit with the convex side facing inwards.

It occurred to me that the breather hoses could also be an issue. As shown in the picture the top two hoses are fairly short and the bottom one is only about an inch long. Perhaps water and dirt are getting to the carb through them when riding through streams etc.. Does anyone know what they are supposed to look like?

20180212_171607.jpg

Edited by Yambo

3 hours ago, Yambo said:

Yeah, but on most bikes the convex side of the filter faces the incoming air since the filter sits on the airbox exit with the convex side facing inwards.

I don't think you've typed what you meant to say there.........

I've never seen one on a trials bike like that, on the exit, though my experience of modern bikes is only Rev3 and 4RT.  Earlier machines I had all were filtered on the entry. 

But, given that the filter is made specifically for the bike, no matter whether concave or convex, the dirty side should be the coarse face, its purpose being to stop the "sma' coals" before they reach the fine filter.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

1 hour ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I don't think you've typed what you meant to say there.........

I've never seen one on a trials bike like that, on the exit, though my experience of modern bikes is only Rev3 and 4RT.  Earlier machines I had all were filtered on the entry. 

But, given that the filter is made specifically for the bike, no matter whether concave or convex, the dirty side should be the coarse face, its purpose being to stop the "sma' coals" before they reach the fine filter.

On all (non trials) bikes I've seen the air filter looks something like this with the filter at the exit to the airbox:

71ebfc068b6de54af8d50d5d552e85c8.jpg

So you want the coarse mesh on the 'outside' of the filter.

Obviously this is not what you want on the Scorpa; you want the coarse mesh on the 'inside' of the filter. I was just saying that the only reason I could see for Jitsie doing it as they did was that they copied an OEM filter without knowing how it went into the Scorpa airbox. They might have assumed it was like the picture above. Granted it seems pretty weird that they would make a mistake like that but it was the best reason I could come up with.

Perhaps the idea behind the coarse filter material is that its position creates a small amount of turbulence in the air before it passes through the carburettor for a better fuel air mix.

Or its just the result of sheer madness .....perhaps Jitsie passed it by Teresa May and her cabinet before going to production.

Edited by oni nou

8 hours ago, pmk said:

Interesting, debating the merits of the front mudflap with yourself...

There are many ways of making a point.

16 hours ago, oni nou said:

There are many ways of making a point.

I was fine with you replying to and almost debating your own post, although, I did kind of offer up a head scratch seeing both posts were from the same person.

Initially, after seeing both were from you, I suspected your account had been hacked.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yambo said:

On all (non trials) bikes I've seen the air filter looks something like this with the filter at the exit to the airbox:

71ebfc068b6de54af8d50d5d552e85c8.jpg

So you want the coarse mesh on the 'outside' of the filter.

Obviously this is not what you want on the Scorpa; you want the coarse mesh on the 'inside' of the filter. I was just saying that the only reason I could see for Jitsie doing it as they did was that they copied an OEM filter without knowing how it went into the Scorpa airbox. They might have assumed it was like the picture above. Granted it seems pretty weird that they would make a mistake like that but it was the best reason I could come up with.

I tend to agree, and not to steal your thunder, I suspected that, the moment I opened the new filter, but wrote it off as a production mistake when cutting the foam.

20 hours ago, Yambo said:

It occurred to me that the breather hoses could also be an issue. As shown in the picture the top two hoses are fairly short and the bottom one is only about an inch long. Perhaps water and dirt are getting to the carb through them when riding through streams etc.. Does anyone know what they are supposed to look like?

20180212_171607.jpg

The short hoses could explain debris inside the float bowl, but not dirt inside the airbox.

21 hours ago, Yambo said:

20180212_171607.jpg

I recently went through the details of my own SY250r.  This was my answer to carb hoses and routing.  

C56A5751-3865-4744-A35F-3E38B1D0E069.jpeg

Edited by pmk

On 2/13/2018 at 2:36 PM, pmk said:

I recently went through the details of my own SY250r.  This was my answer to carb hoses and routing.  

C56A5751-3865-4744-A35F-3E38B1D0E069.jpeg

Cheers for that. Looks like my hoses should be longer ideally which might explain the tiny bit of water I found in the float bowl.