2001 Sherco 250 gear selection

knobbly

I have just put my newly rebuilt 250 into the frame and the gear change lever is solid in a |(do not  which one) gear, the lever is solid!

I am trying to sort it out without having to strip it all down again.  Can anyone give me any tips on what to look for?  It rebuilt it a while ago, and it all seem quite straightforward, but perhaps not!!!!

The gears which were all kept together cannot go in incorrectly, the fork shafts again have one way only.  Can the selector forks go in incorrectly?  Mine appeared to go in just fine and from memory cannot go in incorrectly. The crank turns just fine.

In my wisdom, I did not try to select gears until the engine was in the bike(bad move) and I now have the side cover and clutch off and and shortly to look at the mech in the clutch cavity.  Does anyone have any input here as I really do knot know what I am looking for and do not want to strip further unless know what I am looking for.

Thank you for anyone that can supply any however small advice.

Nigel

From memory you would have been able to assemble the selector forks in the wrong position without having the gearbox locked in a gear

Chances are something is wrong in the selector mechanism, if you can't see what put up a photo & someone may see what