Retarding 290 Ignition Timing

arun1664

I want to have a go at retarding the timing on my 2001 290. I have read the advise on the RYP web site so know how to go about it, but would appreciate some advise on how much I should rotate the plate by (distance?). I could do without having to take the thing to bits a numer of times.

Thanks, Mike

1mm on the stator plate is insignifigant. Rotate the plate 6-8mm counterclockwise from the stock setting and lock it down. More than that and the bike will run oddly.

You may need to richen mixture screw(outward) as well.(don't ask me why) depends on your jetting.(#35 works here) and set the idle up just a tad.

It will smooth the power, make for easier starting and less prone to stalling at low revs and still have good power. :lol:

Hope that helps!

Edited by copemech

Gents

Thanks for the replys. I just pulled the flywheel off and measured the diameter of the plate and did the rough maths. 1.5 mm movement at the circumference of the plate is equal to about 1.4 degrees and 6 mm is equal to 6 degrees by my recconing, Any thoughts on what a 6 degree retardation will do ?

Also as the bike is at the moment the lock screws are well towards the left hand end of the slot (when looking at the top 12o/c slot) very much as it looks in the RYP how to do it PDF file. Is this roughly what standard timing looks like ?

Thanks again ... Mike

As I recall,that is the standard (stock)position. You need to move it it the 6-8mm distance which is about half way in the slot as I recall, this equates to somewhere around 1.25-1.50 deg btc, but don;t worry with that as the angular distance changes the closer you get toTDC.

Another easy way, if your bike has the line stamped into the stator plate that are factory aligned with the right edge of the case web top casting, move that mark to the center, where the bolt goes! :lol:

I've already done the experimentation! :D

Edited by copemech

• 2 weeks later...

thinking of retarding my 06 ignition, has anyone else done this to an 06 and if so by how much did you move the plate? was it the same as the 03 on the RYP site or is 6mm movement as copemech suggests about right? main reason is to soften the power and ease starting as always kicks back and i have a knackered knee which dont appreciate this.