Helmet Horrors!

motomax

I have been using an NZI Carbon fibre helmet for several years now. The bugger has developed a nasty odor that seems to be fermenting like a fine aged cheese. I have used Helmet deodorants and occasionallly wash it out but the smell comes right back. I would like to find a replacement liner for it if possible. Anyone have any experience with finding a liner to fit the NZI?

I know there are several trials helmets that come with removable liners but no one seems to know if you can buy an extra liner. I may choose to buy a new helmet with a removable liner, but only if I can get spare liners for it.

Any advise, ideas etc.....is welcome.

Ride slow.....take chances.

Several years!! I sure don't want to be in a queue near you at the local trial. I suppose it is one way of getting to the front :rolleyes:

Hey "copemech" you sure must look a picture at your local swimming baths striding out in your "SPEEDO'S" sporting your stinking "NZI". You think this helps, personally I think you need to seek help !! ;):)

I have had 2 NZI's, good helmets, but non removable lining is a problem, tried the bath routine, left it soaking etc. none relly work solve the problem short term, but not long term

Now bought myself a "PREMIER" helmet, so I can take the lining out, only worn it twice so cannot be the judge, yet of whether a good idea or not but bought it on recommendation.

So Mr MotoMax treat yourelf to a new helmet, that might even double up as a bathing cap !!!!!

I have used the (Lym?) spray foam for several years on boots, gloves, shin pads and helmets. Works great, especiallyt on keeping gloves soft and not abrasive. However, now with 2 kids, 3 sets of all gear uses an $11 can about every second or third riding. Began too cost more than replacing the gear, so I am saving the spray for the gloves.

I have tried washing everything after every ride. I did find storing the helmet upside down to dry traps water inside between shell and liner and really made a stinky mess. So at least I store it right side up.

'Fabreze' spray fabric stuff has been recommended. Its much cheaper at $5 for about a liter. It seems to help but I am looking for better ideas.

What kinds of experience do others have with the car spray foam. How about house upholstery cleaners? Brands and opinions?

k

i use car foam upolstrey cleaner with great results my helemet stank real bad and i was going to bin it and get a new and i thought that the cleaner might make my head itch but i thought i may as well try it caise if it does not work im gonna but a new helmet anyway so i tried it. it got rid off all the horrible mud ground in around the face area and loads of sweaty horrible stuff came out from inside it and left the matterial nice and soft and smellin nice, but i have used other cleaners and some dont smell nice so smeel the cleaner before you buy it or it could end up smelling like a pub like what ahppened to me once

i use this one it is real cheap and smells of apple and it is a huge can

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/WYN99882.html

i also use this stuff on my bike to make it real shiney

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/WYN43602.html