2001 Rev3 250 Cdi Unit

sjm

Hiya chaps,

I bought my 2001 250 back in January 09, its my first what you would call modern trials bike after about a 15 year lay off. I was never convinced that it ran correctly, but had every intention of going through the bike bit by bit and thought I would get to the bottom of it soon enough. After all the usual stuff, carb rebuild, repack exhaust, change oil, plug etc, I still could not get the bike to rev under load. It would be reasonably fine on level ground pulling good 3rd and 4th gear wheelies no problem, but show it a decent climb or rock and all you would would get was the initial drive then the engine would just misfire and not rev any harder. I found myself attacking stuff in higher gears because of the limited revs available.

I decided to start by replacing the carb mounting rubber which was perished although didn't look like there were any holes in it, this made no difference, but would have needed changing sooner or later.

Whilst I was in JLI picking up the rubber I picked John's brains, and he said it could well be the CDI unit. So I rang this morning to ask if they had one in stock, which they did, so off I went again. When I got there one of the chaps upstairs in the shop asked me what was wrong and he said it was more likely to be the stator, and offered me both with the refunddeal on the one I didn't use, but I didn't fancy the

• 3 years later...