Sherco Exhaust

ali

Does it really need repacking, or just burning out?

Doughbouy has a 125 which seems to coke the silencer up much more often than my 290. He had his burnt out, and made hell of a difference.

I don't know the details, other than filling the bugger with fuel and putting a blow torch to it, so probably best to get the full details from someone in the know. Errr - take it off the bike first though :lol:

Does it really need repacking, or just burning out?

Doughbouy has a 125 which seems to coke the silencer up much more often than my 290. He had his burnt out, and made hell of a difference.

I don't know the details, other than filling the bugger with fuel and putting a blow torch to it, so probably best to get the full details from someone in the know. Errr - take it off the bike first though :lol:

Reminds me of a joke:

What's a redneck's last words?

"Hey, fellas....check THIS out!"

Better off finding a nice, long hill and ripping up it until the exhaust catches fire and ride until the smoke stops.

BTW the bike will run terribly while the oil is burning.

The burning out that I am familiar with involves a long uphill and lots of revs, if it is oil saturated, it will catch on fire, and as you continue feeding the fuel to it, will burn out any excess oil in it. This works a certain amount of time on teh oil saturated packing. After you park it, if you have done it well, the muffler will sit and smoke for quite a while. I may also add that if you have an 02 or newer, and do this, you should probably remove the heat shield from the exhuast as the heat sometimes has the ability to do this for you.

You can also split the pipe, clean it out and repack it. I cannot believe the prices some people say that they get theirs welded back up for. I would not do them if I did not have the TIG welder sitting quitely in the corner. Even with what I consider to be the "right" equipment sitting idly in the shop, if someone came to me and wanted one done that wanted to pay for one, I would send them too their dealer to just buy a new one. It is a pretty fair amount of work and time and cleaning and welding. If you were paying me shop rate to do it, you would be far ahead to just buy a new one.

If you do have the TIG and the TIME, it is fairly straight forward. I reccomend Silent sport packing so that it is easier to put up underneath the center tube then the woven or matt type packaging. Also if you have the 01 pipe, you can add in the dimples and nuts to mount the heat shield at this time. I cut along the weld seam and remove the outside half leaving the center tube attatched into the inside half.

There has been several discussions here about maybe making one up with a trap door type deal, or some form of removable access panel. That would be really neat, but I have not figured out quite how to make one nice yet, that would give me good access to the internals. If you do decide to do it, let me know, I would appreciate any insight or stuff that I have missed.

BS, can you get more of a description?

I have heard of some folks doing it with Oxy Acetylene but they are bolder then I. The temp range would be so narrow between success and a miserable molten pile of aluminum and steel is just too narrow for my tastes.

Would be interested in seeing / hearing / whatever how someone else is going about doing it.

Is this the place?

http://www.davidjonesnewtown.co.uk/

Edited by Alan Bechard

That's the place.

I've just emailed Graham (David Jones Newtown) and Ian (Doughbouy) with a link to this thread. It may turn out that it wasn't an official method :lol: but I got the idea it was, and it seemed to do the trick for a while at least. Hopefully one of them will step in with the story, or email me back with it.

HAS ANYONE RE PACKED SHERCO EXHAUST (04 125)AND IF SO HOW? WHAT TO USE AND DOES IT WORK.HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP SOUNDING A BIT TINNY. CHEERS

hy,

i'm French and i repacked my Sherco 2.5 2004 exhaust ; i search at first to change the interior of the 2 volumes and don't want to weld it ; luckily because at first time i put in the first chamber the same materials (rockwool) that i put in the second chamber , not a good idea because of the high pressure of the gases it goes out; so i put like the origin : steel wool.

To avoid the welding I used some rivets and of the leg welding is cold.

Now my sherco sound good and the response of the motor is better.

go to see my photos :

exhaust sherco

:lol:

Right, I've had the story back from the horses mouth :lol:

Graham Evans has done a few of these, by the same method - slightly different to the chinese whispered story I had heard.

They wash them out with petrol, giving them a good rinse, then they've got an electric hotplate that they use for all sorts of other jobs like freeing up bearings. They put the silencer on the hotplate OUTSIDE for a few hours. Eventually flames come out of both ends and all the oil burns away.

Apparently (not surprisingly) this absolutely stinks, so it's probably not a good one for you mini 125 pilots to do on mum's stove while she's out. Get dad to do it :lol:

Maybe not something that everyone can do, if you haven't got an industrial hotplate??? but seems to work anyway.

Just an idea following the last post, for you mini 125 pilots:

Don't mess about with your mums stove, strap the silencer to the manifold of your dads car.

Before too long, on a long trip, the correct temperature should be reached and the flames/smoke/etc will bellow out from both ends.

Imagine your dads relief though when he realises that his car hasn't blown up, it's just his little angel carrying out some well planned Sherco maintenance.

I can picture the look of relief now :lol:

Yeah - some instructions for the slower ones amongst us:

Don't look down the end to see how hot it's getting

Don't hold it over the stove - chances are it'll get hot

Don't do it on your 3rd floor balcony

Don't stand near the fec*ing thing

There's probably some other's but if you need 'em you best not bother! :lol: