Sherco Ignition

elsiboy

I have just taken my 2002 Sherco 290 into the shop as it had no spark and I suspected that it needed a new stator fitting. Half an hour later I received a call saying that the stator was OK but that the fly wheel was goosed as it must have worked its way loose on the crank shaft - I haven't seen the bike stripped so can't say what the damage is! The guy at the shop says that the Ducati fly wheels are no longer available and that the bike requires a whole new ignition system from Leonelli :wacko: -

Hi,i had to replace my stator on my `04 recently,but fortunatlly for me it was a leonelli system.

What exactly has happened to your flywheel?normally if the key shears the damage isnt to bad.Is it all knackered inside the bore??

Get the flywheel and have a look at it.Its not that i am doubting your mechanic,but it must be in a fair old state to be needing total replacement.

Steve

Cheers Steve,

I can't get down to the shop until Thrsday so haven't seen the damage yet. I will definitely be taking a look at the fly wheel when I get there, but from the phone message it sounds like the thing has been loose and has suffered some wear from rattling around, although I did look under the cover before I took it down and there was no obvious damage from the outside, no movement on the crank, but the retaining nut was loose. I am not sure what I am looking for in the fly wheel other than chunks missing and the magnets being in place. Anything else I should check?

:wacko:

Thanks Ady,

Which bit came un-riveted?

I am off to have a look at the bike tomorrow so will have more of an idea then.

In terms of spares, the UK sherco importer ('Rathwell's'?) have told the mechanic that the Ducati fly wheel is no longer available (I don't know if this is "at all" or just through Sherco). I am not sure which other bikes / scooters use the Ducati fly wheel, I do know that vespa, Lambretta and Derbi all use the same CDI unit, perhaps one of them has the same fly wheel too.

Does anyone have a part number for the Ducati fly wheel?

Still :wacko: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help fellas, I've now got my spark back!

The problem turned out to be that the fly wheel had messed its self up on the crank when the key came adrift. The crank and fly wheel have been cleaned up and have managed to fit a new key. The whole thing seems to be holding for now so hopefully will do the business.

Cost so far