Wheel Building Help Needed On Cub

steve

Hi,

Are there any wheel builders out there who could help me put my mind at rest?

In the top photo is my newly spoked hub which I belived to be Tiger cub.

In the bottom photo is a spare wheel from another Tiger Cub

I have highlighted two spokes on each wheel, as you can see the spokes leave the hubs in a different pattern on my new hub. (the spokes are almost at 180 deg. to each other)

No matter how I try and respoke the wheel I can't match the pattern of my spare wheel.

First I spoke the Large (brake side) flange taking care to keep the spokes of equal length, which should align the rim and hub perfectly.

When I try to spoke the small flange the only way they will fit is by placing the spokes at 180 degrees. It's as if the top flage has been welded on in the wrong place!

Is it spoked correctly?

Is the hub from a different bike? perhaps Bantam? and is supposed to be like that.

Could anyone look at their wheels and see what pattern their spokes are laced in.

Help would be greatly appreciated, it's driving me nuts :)

post-14-1078689489.jpg

Looks OK to me.

Several bikes have the 180 deg spoke angle.

Just make sure the nipples are square in the holes and don't seem to be cocked.

Make sure the spokes from one side of the hub go to the holes on the corresponding side of the rim.

Make sure you grind off any spoke protruding past the inside of the nipple.

• 5 years later...

I know this is many years late, but I have just started to use a computer and can now troll through Cub stuff, to check, see and learn prior art---- Someone has used longer spokes, and this has resulted in a cross-4 instead of the original cross-3 spoke pattern, which therefore has the two spokes coming out of the opposite ends of the same slot being almost in a straight line, or at 180 degrees, as you said.

Just measure the spoke lengths of the 2 wheels. The negatives of cross-4 are more weight because of the heavier longer spokes, with the attendant more resilient, flexing wheel to perhaps absorb more abuse, rather than a more rigid cross-3 wheel to aid riding precision---I don't know where the trade-offs between the 2 approaches lie since I am not an expert.

I do note you are comparing the pattern of a front hub to that of a rear, which are probably of a different size, and therefore have different spoke lengths and angles. I also suspect the drum-side spokes may be of a different length, so they may be swung in a different direction, rotating the hub slightly, giving the impression that the small spoke flange is fastened on out of register.

Did you in the meantime solve your problem?

Best regards.